1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS HD6970 build quailty

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by aydahm, Apr 7, 2011.

1. aydahm New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone,

I just purchased an ASUS HD6970 (EAH6970) graphics card, the normal version not the dcuII one, and just realized that there is a slight creaking sound on top of the card, where the fan is, when you press the middle of the top part.

Is this normal? or does it pose any problem?

Thanks in advance...

2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    As long as you don't push the card you'll be fine. Why do you push it there?

3. aydahm New Member

Thanks Received:
    well I realized it while installing the card to the motherboard, and wondered whether this was a faulty production or something like that.

4. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Plastic makes noise when you push on it. It's just the shroud for the cooler. I would suggest trying to push directly on the PCB rather than on the cooler itself, as you could potentially knock the cooler out of alignment or bend/break some heatpipes.

Nothing to worry about unless you experience random shutdowns from temperature overloads.

5. aydahm New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh ok, when I push the pcb no sound comes, the sound only comes from the plastic, meaning not the fan, but the black (red striped) part on top of the card. I was wondering if anyone was experiencing this.

6. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Again, it's plastic. Plastic makes noises when you push on it. It's not a build-quality issue. There would be no reason for them to make the cooler's shroud out of super-thick plastic. It would be a waste of money and impede the fan's airflow. It will not affect the performance or life of your card.

7. arroyo

arroyo

Thanks Received:
    If it's not the plastic that is making whining noises than the noise comes from the buzzer. I have put a small bubble gum piece inside the hole of buzzer and strange sounds stops.

8. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Read the thread. This has nothing to do with what you're talking about.