1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Introduces Arctic Square for Quad-Core Processors

Discussion in 'News' started by Bastieeeh, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Bastieeeh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Taipei, Taiwan, March 22, 2007 – To provide users with a compact sized CPU cooling solution, ASUS has announced the Arctic Square CPU cooler. This compact cooler incorporates innovative features, including double side fins, dynamic fan speed control and four copper heat pipes in order to deliver efficient heat dissipation for the latest quad-core processors. With a small cooler size, the Arctic Square is widely compatible with many motherboards and chassis. The Arctic Square offers quiet performance and a unique design with a blue LED, providing a peaceful computing environment and a stylish system interior.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Powerful Performance with Compact Size
    The Arctic Square incorporates a double side fin design that includes "ladder-shaped" fins located on both sides of the cooler for a larger heat exchange area. Four heat pipes made of copper efficiently transfer heat generated by the CPU to the fins, maintaining processor temperature at levels most suitable for high-performance and stable computing. Designed to have a smaller size, the Arctic Square is compatible to many motherboards and chassis – providing reliable PC operating systems.

AMD and Intel Quad-core CPU Support
    The Arctic Square supports Intel®'s Core™ 2 Extreme series, Pentium® D Dual-Core CPU, and Pentium® 4 LGA775 processors; as well as AMD®'s Socket AM2/940/939, Athlon™ 64-FX, Athlon™ and Sempron™ processors. Able to support so many different processors, the Arctic Square is ready to cool the latest and most powerful computing platforms in the market.

Voltage Regulation Module Protection
    The voltage regulation shield inside the cooler directs airflow created by the 9cm LED fan to surrounding VRM (voltage regulation modules) – critical to processor operation and overall system reliability. This unique design effectively reduces VRM temperature by 10-15˚C.

Easy 3-step Installation
    The patented retention module is designed specifically to enable easy cooler installation regardless of the processor platform in three simple steps without even removing the motherboard from the system or memory modules from the board.

1. Place retention set on the motherboard
    2. Place cooler over the CPU
    3. Lock cooler with spring clip

Specification

[​IMG]

Powerful Performance for Overclocking
    Copper base with 4 heat pipes provide excellent heat dissipation, efficiently transfer heat to the fins and maintain the temperature for high-performance computing

Compact and Reliable
    The Arctic Square incorporated with "Ladder-Shaped" fins on both sides to enlarge heat exchange area for effective cooling and remain its compact design as well

Balance between Performance and Acoustic
    PWM function automatically adjusts fan speed according to CPU temperature and delivers a quiet cooling operation

Multiple Application
    Universal retention module designed for Intel® LGA775 and AMD™ K8 939/940/AM2 platforms support

Inner Fan Technology
    The fan positioned inside the frame for maximum airflow and VRM shield guides cool air to critical components around the CPU for stable operation

[​IMG]

Source: ASUS Arctic Square Product Page and ASUS Press Release
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  2. LiNKiN

LiNKiN Staff

Thanks Received:
    Very sharp looking, and nice performance. Wow. :toast:
  3. dsdsdk New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol.. 25 ambient and ~50watt later, idle = 25.. i dont believe it..

edit, ah ups.. delta temperatures..
  4. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    asus heatsinks sucks!

those results are all false.
  5. Fleekar

Fleekar

Thanks Received:
    I love how companies always put "Other brands" to show performance. I'd rather it be stock vs Asus alone, sounds more convincing.
  6. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Best thing about that is the 666 weight :p
  7. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Looks nice, but I highly doubt it cools a quad core chip that effectively.
  8. bucsfan69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't know what is wrong with ktr, but if you don't know what your talking about, don't talk. I have the asus arctic square, and after arctic silver has had time to break in, my idle temps are 20c on one core, 24c on the other E6600 Conroe core, which relates to 68f and and 73f, and I have the core temp pic to prove it. Room temp was 76f at the time. Under full load of both cores and memory stress test, it never goes above 44c. It is also smaller, lighter, and better looking than most all the "better" coolers out there. And the dude ktr called a liar, consider the source, unfortunately speaks before researching.
  9. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:

how does an air cooler cool below ambient without the expenditure of energy
  10. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Wow, I have achieve the same temps on stock cooling on a core2. :slap: and that a q6600...

The dud is a liar himself...

Plus a cooler that goes from 24c to 44c, a delta of 20c, is a mediocre cooler, which is no better than the stock cooler. A quality cooler like the thermalright, zalmans, etc...would have a delta below 10c.

and look at my rig, i have a cpu that is known to run a tad hot (90nm dual core, toledo). I got the cheapest zalman cooler. I have no intake fans. And my CPU loads at 44c, with all the fans on low.

Over all know one cares where your CPU idles, its matters where it loads, and how much thermal resistance the cooler has.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  11. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is possable to get "reading" at or below ambient temps. But, we all know the accuracy of "readings". To get the results you want just roll-through all available temp monitoring programs until you get one with the readings you want. But, That doesn't make them accurate.

Somebody here at TPU needs to review that cooler.

:toast:
  12. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    review of that lump of junk?> neggie
  13. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Those DIY asus coolers are great, but the rest are mediocre to poor...