• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Launches Essence III Preamplifier, USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier

ASUS did a good job with the design of the Essence One and if this new design indeed features those op-amps and a step attenuator it will be very very interesting.

Now all we need is the price!

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
Hello!

I found this website with some detailed info about the new Asus Essence III. hit translate in Chrome :)

Looks like there is some volumen adjustment potentiometers on the back for XLR levels ?
and a switch that says VR bypass (Volumen bypass ?)

It also has a Stereo phono AUX input!

According to this Hungarian site, it also uses AD 827SQ opamps 6 pcs total ($26+ opamp)
I guess it will not come cheap!

http://ipon.hu/hir/asus_essence_iii_celkeresztben_a_vajtfuluek/27271

I own the Asus Essence One, and I have been very happy with it from day one!
But I have modified my I/V section so it uses a passive resistor network for current to voltage conversion. This sounds very analog compared to Opamp I/V.

I have been missing the possibility to remotely adjust the volumen level, and now the Essence III seems to have this, so I am considering to buy this nice looking preamp!

The AnalogDevices AD1955 is also a sweet sounding DAC Chip, I have the AD1955 Eval board with one AD1955 and AD797 opamps.

Cheers
Flemming Bach
Denmark!

Welcome aboard to TPU :)
So Asus decided to dump NE 5532 and switch to AD827.It appears Asus try to address some harsh sound over the previous Essence.
AD797 :eek:
One of the rarest and the best opamp out there...is it AD 797 BRZ or AD 797 ANZ?

BachAudioDK

Thank you!

Well the AD1955 eval board uses the PDIP version of AD797, so I think it must be the ANZ version. See attached picture.

I think the AD827SQ would be better as I/V converter opamp due to the much faster settling time and larger slewrate (300V/us vs. 20 V/us of AD797 vs. 9V/us of NE5532)

I would say that my personal choice for I/V would be a passiv resistor I/V stage.
On both my Essence One and Essence STX soundcard I have replaced the I/V opamp with passive resistor I/V with negative current bias to V- so the Vout is centered to approx zero volt. This gives a very pleasant and airy treble in my ears. Very close to my analog LP setup.

I would recommend you to read Nelson Pass´s thoughts on using Opamps as I/V converter, vs. discreet I/V.

https://www.passdiy.com/gallery/other/zen-i-v-converter

Im a bit concerned that the Essence III would cost a lot more that I can afford at the moment :eek: and I hate to sell my Essence I to upgrade ;) (you can never get too many amplfiers :roll: )

EvalKitAD1955.jpg

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
System Name TOO MUCH RADIATOR! | The TV Box a.k.a. The Shoebox
Processor Core i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz | Core i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Cooling Custom water on CPU and GPU, dual 360mm radiators | Corsair H80i
Memory 4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-1600 | 2x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws 4 DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD R9 295x2 | PowerColor AMD HD7970
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Display(s) Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 IPS | Panasonic TC-L32E5 1080p IPS TV
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Power Supply LEPA G1600-MA 1600W | Corsair CX750M 750W
Software Win 10 64
Benchmark Scores over 9000 BungholioMarks, "Bitchin' Fast"
I own the Asus Essence One, and I have been very happy with it from day one!
But I have modified my I/V section so it uses a passive resistor network for current to voltage conversion. This sounds very analog compared to Opamp I/V
please share details about this mod: photos, parts you used