1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Launches TUF Sabertooth 990FX GEN3 R2.0

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Feb 18, 2013.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ASUS today announced the TUF Series SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0, the world's first AMD-based motherboard to feature PCI Express 3.0 for use with next generation high performance graphics cards. Up to three DirectX 11 graphics cards with 28nm GPU technology can be used via NVIDIA SLI or AMD CrossFireX to create desktop PCs with formidable graphics performance.

SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0 also features renowned ASUS TUF Series thermal design for superior heat removal. Like all TUF Series motherboards, it undergoes military and server-grade testing to ensure absolute stability, reliability, and longevity. SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0 is backed by a five-year warranty.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Military-grade components for superior reliability
    SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0 meets strict TUF Series quality assurance standards, which consist of multiple-stage military and server-grade tests. TUF-certified alloy chokes, together with solid state capacitors and MOSFETs, ensure complete reliability even when the motherboard is subjected to intense use for prolonged periods. Four DIMM slots support up to 32GB DDR3 memory at frequencies up to 2400 MHz, aided by an eight-layered PCB that promotes faster memory performance while ensuring stability and compatibility with improved cross-component signal quality.

Sophisticated thermal management copes with extreme heat
    TUF Series motherboards are designed to provide absolute stability and reliability under harsh operating conditions, and feature sophisticated thermal management to handle extreme heat. Both the Northbridge and Southbridge use dual-heatpipe heatsinks with CeraM!X micro-ridged coating that increases the effective heat dissipation surface area by around 50%.

SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0 also features TUF Thermal Radar, which uses multiple heat sensors across the motherboard for real time temperature monitoring. Independent and automatic fan speed control then allows components to be cooled individually for maximum efficiency and operating stability.

The ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0 motherboard will be generally available in the middle of March.

[​IMG]
  2. Dj-ElectriC

Dj-ElectriC

Thanks Received:
    I wonder why the AMD Asus boards wont get full thermal armour
  3. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    Too bad I don't BUY Asus anymore

Too bad I don't buy Asus anymore...this looks like a nice board.

I gave up on them after last years ordeals I had with their customer service, twice.
    They used to be a good company IMO, but no longer based on their CS and my experiences.
    I think they still make good PRODUCTS though.
    But it's just not worth the hassles with CS for me.
    Not saying YOU should avoid them, just me, for now until I start hearing good things about their CS once again.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  4. Solidstate89

Solidstate89

Thanks Received:
    My god, why do we still have PCI slots in 2013? Enough is enough already.
    Sinzia says thanks.
  5. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    Even if its not the classic "full armor", it looks really cool!
  6. iO

iO

Thanks Received:
    That green LED...
  7. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Because the feedback for thermal armor from enthusiasts has been bad. I wouldn't be surprised if future Intel platform Sabertooth boards lack it, too. You'll also notice that with this board, ASUS tossed out olive-green from the color scheme.
    EzioAs says thanks.
  8. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yeah but i dunno their product looks nice, i just add them in my list :D:confused:
  9. FYFI13

FYFI13

Thanks Received:
    There's a lot of hardware with PCI connections still. Without PCI i wouldn't be able to use my sound card and SATA Raid cotroller.
    suraswami, radusorin and Darkleoco say thanks.
  10. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    Dunno how it performs or if it's any good, but this board looks really great, +1 for the aesthetics.
  11. progste

Thanks Received:
    looks beast :rockout:
  12. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    so far pci still used by many cards
    if we talk about today technology of course its not relevant but you may use your old hardware on that as long as it has driver for your OS :toast:
  13. Solidstate89

Solidstate89

Thanks Received:
    There's a lot of old and deprecated hardware that still uses PCI. I'm sure you can still find some old graphics cards that still use AGP, but I don't see any motherboards with AGP slots still on them.

On high-end motherboards there should NOT be any PCI slots; Period. It's inexcusable. It's like including a VGA output on the GTX Titan that's about to launch. I'm sure there's monitors that people use out there that still use VGA, but should the interface be included in a high-end card? No.
  14. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    I've not come across a single PCI-Express sound card that comes within a light year to the audio quality of my brother's Auzentech X-Meridean PCI.
  15. progste

Thanks Received:
    my creative x-fi platinum is still working fine, why would i have to change it just because some people say that "pci is old"
    also there are already other boards that don't use pci anymore so i don't see the problem
  16. arterius2

Thanks Received:
    not really, I love the looks of the thermal armor on my z77 sabertooth. I'm sure they will continue implementing them on Intel boards, my only wish is that they would make the shroud metal, not plastic.
  17. blibba

blibba

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info. So what's the point in Sabertooth now, besides another colour scheme for RoG?
  18. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Ceram!x heatsinks, higher quality components, 5-year warranty.
  19. blibba

blibba

Thanks Received:
    I feel like that should be their Pro boards. Oh well.
  20. symmetrical New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm assuming you are only referring to the PCI slot and not PCIe right? (noob question)
  21. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Can anyone explain me in details what exactly are "Military-grade components" ??

Btw, for the PCI hater from here, I have both a PCI X-FI Sound Card and also a PCI digital HD TV tuner that works flawlessly. ;)
  22. blibba

blibba

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you assume correctly I think.
  23. Xzibit

Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    I have the Sabertooth Z77

Aside from the asthetics and higher tolerant compnents its not as fast as the Pro or Deluxe and I think thats where the complaints come that its expected for the higher premium.

If you take the armour off it runs cooler. The series is to be durable and the armour adds another layer of longevity to prevent dust build up against elements.

I just dont like cleaning dust that often :)
  24. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    From old time ie 50ties those are electronics parts that have more roughed working specs.

Same batch spare parts that have proven to work under higher more extreme temperature deltas and voltages and have more robust package and survives higher mechanical force shock etc...
  25. Am*

Thanks Received:
    Can someone explain to me why the hell this and loads of other AMD motherboards have 32GB RAM (4x DIMMs) support, when the platform's flagship FX 8350 cannot even fully use 16GB?