• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Lists AM3 CPU-supportive AM2 and AM2+ Motherboards

FudFighter

thats not true in all situations. as stated before, some boards couldnt handle higher power draw, some had physical limitations due to the BIOS chip. SOME boards only need a BIOS update, but how can you be sure that a hardware update isnt neccesary too?

one good example here from (past generations) is half multiplier support: some motherboards couldnt handle it right, and even with BIOS updates, they gave out some really whacky ram speeds due to not fully supporting it.

yeah i said that didnt i? about power limmits?

in this case the new chips use LESS power then the current ones so thats not an issue.

as to multi's in my exp, alot of that was the bios, i had 2 boards that had that problem with the first few bios, and you STILL get weird memory clocks with many newer boards at half multi's, just due to how amd's chips work, not really a big issue, infact a few times it was a good thing because i was able to get a little extra out of my chip where i wouldnt have been able to if the memory devider was proper(could get ram to its max and cpu to its or damn close for best balance)

if the chipset mattered you wouldnt see any 700 boards with am3 support, since the 700 is really just an updated 700, the 750 has some fearther improovements that make it better for clocking in some situations, but nothing really "drastic" from the specs i read.

700 has a clock bug that in some cases causes problems with raid when overclocking, again nothing most people would notice or be effected by.

FudFighter

yeah, its because asus wants to only support newer boards and everybody wants 700/750 now, pretty common of them REALLY , nothing suprising to me really, asus sucks on amd stuff :(

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
yeah i said that didnt i? about power limmits?

in this case the new chips use LESS power then the current ones so thats not an issue.

ah, but what if those boards cant go low enough? what if the silly boards put too much power into the memory controller or something like that, and the hardware isnt in place to lower it.

seriously, EVERYONE is speculating. no one knows if more will be unlocked, or other companies will even do the same thing - asus are the first people to say what boards of theirs will do AM3, who knows if its a complete list yet.