• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus M2VTVM with Nvidia GeForce 8400GS problem

Zeuster

Wow what a find with this forum !! Wish I had discovered it sooner. Ok hope you guys can share your wisdom and help me out.

Not very techno savvy but do the best I can. I have Asus M2V-TVM (Athlon64) mobo 400w supply WinXP standard config and used only for basic internet, email, MSOffice and photoshop. I have a spare LCD and would like two screens and as the mobo has this stupid onboard graphics adaptor (which has served me well so far) with only one VGA outlet decided to go buy a budget adaptor which was the NVidia GeForce 8400GS (has VGA/DVI/HDMI outputs) and put it into the pcie slot.

The setup did not recognise the card (telling me cannot process as incompatible hardware) and also WinXP did not pick it up.

So, have spend the last few days trolling the internet for solutions and have so far:
Wriggle and jiggled the card
Upgraded BIOS to the latest version (from 0201 to 0902)
Changed BIOS to use PCIE first
Deleted all onboard graphics drivers for the onboard adapter
Started in Safe mode to see if that helps
Tried bypassing the CD autosetup and running driver install direct.
Used Add Hardware Wizard dozens of times with various options to try and get it to install drivers.
Trawled through hundreds of google searches and rebooted heaps LoL.

There isn't any ability in BIOS to reassign IRQs (just in case its a conflict) or disable the onboard adaptor. The card fan spins so its getting power. No jumpers on the card to force disabling the onboard adaptor. Apparently Asus say installing a card should auto disable the onboard otherwise there is no other way. Some have suggested its an incompatibility with the 8400GS and the VIA chipset (K8M890).

Should I return this card and exchange for another or give up or is there some trick I don't know to get this card working? Or perhaps even scrounge around for another mobo and resuse whatever I can so I can have two screens? I see some people have installed adapters into the mobo with success but as I am on a budget, a little scared to just go buy another to try.

If someone can offer a suggestion, or perhaps even look at the website where all those "in the know" get their gear and give me a suggestion from the list I am more than happy to go get whatever is suggested. I'll give the GoldCoast link because that's my closest warehouse: http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=4

Cheers guys and thanks in advance.

Zeuster

I should mention its a Gigabyte version and I read somewhere I could flash the card back from Gen2 to Gen1 to be compatible but that would mean I wouldn't be able to return the card. And besides I would have to find someone to suck up to that would let me install the card in their machine LoL.

Zeuster

I guess there is no solution other than return the card and try another :-(