1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS M4A Series to Spearhead Company's AM3 Motherboard Initial Lineup

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Dec 31, 2008.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    With motherboards based on AMD's newest AM3 socket surfacing from the likes of ECS and ASRock, market heavyweights such as ASUS have decided to pixellate their offerings on the internet. ASUS for one has two motherboards in the pipeline, under the M4A series. As the series name suggests, It's based on the AM3 socket (AM2+ was M3A) and based on AMD chipset. AM3 boards based on NVIDIA nForce chipset will be most likely called the M4N series.

Here are the initial offerings: M4A78 Pro and M4A79 Deluxe. The two are based on the AMD 780G and 790FX chipsets respectively. Both the motherboards use DDR2 memory. A complete range of AM2, AM2+ and AM3 socket CPUs are supported. Surprisingly neither support DDR3 memory, the one that makes AM3 stand apart from AM2+. The two are expected to be released in January, their prices are unknown at this point in time.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sources: OCWorkbench, FudZilla

2. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Moar about the M4A79 Deluxe:

3. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    If they use DDR2, how are they AM3? I mean sure they support it but wasn't the whole point of AM3 to migrate over to DDR3?

WarEagleAU and CDdude55 say thanks.
  4. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    will an AM3 board support an AM2 cpu?

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. blueskynis

blueskynis New Member

Thanks Received:
    If they support DDR2 then I don't see what separates M4A series from M3A series. They are the same?!

6. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    there are 2 controllers on AM3 cpu's

CDdude55 and WarEagleAU say thanks.
  7. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not if its a real one with DDR3. Not sure about these "AM3" boards that have DDR2..

8. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    but if they have only ddr2, how are they going to market them as am3?

they are going to make the same thing as jetway did in newegg

9. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    These are AM3 with DDR2 support. I was hoping these would use DDR2/DDR3 or just DDR3. Doesnt look like it. I may wind up getting one anyways just cuz its new. :D

10. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    but what im trying to say is that there are a lot of am2+ and even some am2 boards that support am3 processor and is weird that they name a ddr2 board as am3 when they should name it am2 WITH SUPPORT for am3

11. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    these are full Phenom 2 Support Boards, meaning no bios upgrade is needed, and i guess other tweaks.

12. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I find these motherboards convenient, despite that it only supports DDR2 at the moment in the M4A or M4N family. The reason why I see it that way is because these are motherboards built for AM3, so Intel users can easily migrate to AMD processors without having to ask someone for a BIOS upgrade if unfortunate. This could also mean maximum stability too with some special features that may come with Phenom 2.

Any word of a 790GX mobo?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  13. cool_recep

cool_recep

Thanks Received:
    Why are there still IDE and Floppy ports?

Without these ports not only the manufacturing will be cheaper but also boot up time will decrease.

Foxconn made a great mobo which had none of these. (I know foxconn is not that good)

And please do not say "bios updates bla bla bla.." and "optical ıde drive BS"....

14. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    because of the third world (like here :p)

15. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hope IDE and floppy ports get phased out soon. I am so sick of having to maneuver around them. I haven't used IDE in years. I did use a floppy to flash my old P35 boards tho.

16. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was expecting the same thing. I was hoping that there would be motherboards for AM3 that would have both DDR2 and DDR3 slots, so I would have a choice of smoothly moving into the DDR3 generation with no shame once DDR3 sets the gap when keeping up with certain apps.

17. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure there is a premium to this board like any other Asus board but seeing Realtek on it when the M3A32-MVP and the M3A79-T Deluxe use Marvell for the giga Lan and ADI Soundmax for the audio I really hope the cost will be down. It sucks ADI got out of the sound chip market cause I think they made some very good onboard sound chips.

I wish too Asus would actually change up the board alittle. It looks almost exactly like a M3A32-MVP and M3A79-T besides the SATA placement and the heatsink.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, IDE/Floppy has been dead so long they're like zombies. You can easily use a flash drive to flash any bios, and serial burners are way more convienent and are no more expensive than a modern IDE drive anyway.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. cool_recep

cool_recep

Thanks Received:
    Nearly for every BIOS, there is Windows update application. You don't have to mess with DOS BS.

20. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    trust me, its a lot better to mess with DOS than with Windows based BIOS updates. There is much greater risk of a failed flash in Windows. For instance, Abit used to tell people up front that there is a 50% chance failure rate when using Windows flashing. That number may be different for other manufacturers but even if its a 10% chance why take the risk? Thanks but i'll pick a floppy or USB key DOS flashing any day of the week.

21. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    if you dont use them Turn them off in the bios, its just like the other IO ports on the machine, to me Optical Drives still are quick on them thats why they are still being used, that floppy port is still a good means for bios flash programs because the windows environment is connected to internet and can get stuff loaded into it that causes adverse effects to any bios flashing, where in DOS/CMD Environment it is not connected and cant be really affected by external means, and code loading is separate from the HD. Also dos is quicker for bios flashing. There is also apparently still a demand for those ports to be there, so if you dont like seeing them, either turn off the ports in the bios or just get another board, but for the rest of us this maybe an excellent solution.

22. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    This will make your build alot cheaper, AM3 cpu (support DDR2/DDR3), with a native AM3 socket mobo that use DDR2.

And when DDR3 is cheaper, you can upgrade to a DDR3 mobo, and still able to keep the CPU.

The Phenom II that built for AM2+ socket only support DDR2.

23. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    this board useful for guys who they have an phenom x4 cpu with ddr2 sue , this board is good for step by step upgrade

24. Rebo&Zooty

Rebo&Zooty New Member

Thanks Received:
    no thanks, asus amd boards suck, horrible bios and driver support

25. daemon886 New Member

Thanks Received:
    jsut an FYi i won this board, have since it was released, and i am running 8 gigs of patriot DDR3
    memory OC'd to 2000, this suppoorts DDR3, not sure why people say it does not