1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 + Antec EA430D won't power on

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by erek, Sep 24, 2010.

1. erek New Member

Thanks Received:
    i hooked up my Antec EA430D to my ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 and quickly realized that the ATX 12V line from the the Antec is only 4 pin, but the motherboard can accept an 8pin 12V line...

i don't think this is the problem, but anyways... the motherboard just sputters on for a split second... as in the CPU fan comes on for a second then immediately shuts off...

i was able to get the PSU to turn on and stay on by shorting the green line with a black line from the main connector...

this is a brand new PSU, so what could be the problem??

also... my PC Power & Cooling has a full 8pin ATX 12V line... and it powers the board just fine...

could the 4pin vs 8 pin +12V ATX connector be the difference between powering on my motherboard and not powering it on?

i was just wanting to test the PSU to go into actual production with,

GA-MA78LM-S2 (rev. 1.0): http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3189#ov

[​IMG]
    (Which seems to only require a 4pin +12V connector)

the Antec PSU has a 4pin +12V ATX connector

the motherboard (ASUS) can accept an 8pin +12V ATX connector... but initially came with a cap over half of the connector, so 4pin is the initial setup... [​IMG]

the PCP&C psu with 8pin +12V and 4pin +12V connector works with either the 8pin or the 4pin.... but the Antec wont power it on beyond a sputter off the CPU fan...

i was able to short the green and a black line on the main connector of the Antec to get it come on and stay on aslong as it was shorted...

[when i short the green wire with a black wire it turns on... as soon as i disconnect the short.. the PSU turns off...]
  2. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well that connector as you may know, powers the CPU. So an 8 pin may be the way to go. Some other possibilities thats causing this is a short. Either with a screw or something behind the mobo, or a shaved wire touching the case (even partially shaved, my bro had that happen to him)