1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus M5A78L-M

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by KNAN2012, Jun 17, 2013.

1. KNAN2012 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,

I am having a problem with my PC, I have AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6GHz - Asus M5A78L-M USB3 HDMI Motherboard - 4GB DDR3 Bundle.

When I install the 4GB DDR3 rams, Windows crashes, posting random error message like "POOL PAGE" OR MEMORY MANAGEMENT".

It works fine with 2GB rams and I tested all the slots and is fine with 2GB. I have have windows 8 64bit.

Any idea guys.

Many thanks

2. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i think one of the memory slots or sticks has gone kaput.

try different slots with only one stick.

ten try it with the other stick, differnet slots.

then make sure that both the channels in the bios are running at same speed and latencies.
    make sure both the rams are manufactured to run at same speeds and latencies.

3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Make sure the motherboard is running the RAM at its factory timings and voltages. Some board set odd setting when in AUTO

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    i have this board, never ran into ram troubles like this and ive had a variety of ram in there, even non matching ram.

all id suggest is wipe cmos every time you change ram configs, take the battery out before or after swapping the ram.

try different memory settings but also make sure the memory voltage is fixed.

5. KNAN2012 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried different slots on each stick, for the 2GB ram is fine but when I install the 4GB then I have crushes.

Some suggested the CPU only supports WINDOWS xp, 7, 8 32-bit which only uses 2gb of the memory instead of the 4gb.

Is that the case?

6. Compgeke

Compgeke

Thanks Received:
    FX-4100 is a 64-bit processor, so there's no reason only 32-bit operating systems would be the only ones that work, unless you have an old (like 2003) 64-bit board such as an Asus SK8V which has no 64-bit drivers for RAID and such but uses a 64-bit processor.

I would try installing the ram and running memtest86(\+) to see if there's a faulty module. I can't tell you how long it will take, however with DDR3 it seems pretty fast, around 15 minutes for a single gig of ram.

7. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    First clear the cmos and put in both sticks and try.

Is the mother board 2 memory slot one or the 4 memory slot one?

When the computer boots, go into bios and manually set the memory timings and memory voltage. See if this works.

8. KNAN2012 New Member

Thanks Received:

The motherboard is 4 memory slot. I tried one stick of 2GB at the time on each slot and it works fine.

The sticks are same model so there is no difference. I checked the Processor and it is 64Bit system.

I can not understand why I am having this issue.

9. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    this board is funny with bios settings, i usually leave everything auto and clear cmos after any hardware change.

and i think blue slots are priority, cant remember without looking at the manual.

and maybe clean the gold fingers with alcohol or something to make sure it isnt bad contact.

and have you tested each stick separately? my first idea if they both work but dont work together is voltage.

10. Johan45

Johan45

Thanks Received:
    What speed is the memory. That board only supports 1333 without OC'ing the HT link frequency.
    When you have the system running Open CPU-z and check the spd tab for the timings at 1333. This is what you'll want for that board ATM. Then set them manually in the bios. Under Advanced/ jumper free configuration/ memory clock mode set to manual You'll find the frequency setting hare as well as Dram timings. You'll also find the voltage there.
    Then make sure you are using the same coloured slots. A1+ B1 for dual channel. Or A2 + B2 your manual doesn't specify which.
    Mem.JPG

Also giving us the brand and model of the ram may help.

11. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    ^^ ive put in my 2133mhz ram and booted on auto and was fine. just downclocked to 1333mhz.

the whole time ive had this board nothing has happened like this, unless your power connectors arent in properly or something.

just clear cmos before or after hardware change.

12. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Although the sticks work single, they may not be compatable with the board thus all 4 sticks don't work together...... Check out the compatability list with the board.

13. KNAN2012 New Member

Thanks Received:

Hi Johan, the speed on the memory is 1333MHZ, brand is Hyberram.

I opened CPUZ under SPD the timming is showings something like 457MHZ, 533mhz AND 685MHZ, I don't know if that is what to look,

I have attacked the CPU Spd.

I could not change the voltage, it is set auto and also can not see Dram timings in there.

Many thanks

Attached Files:

• CPUZ.png
      CPUZ.png
      File size:
      70.7 KB
      Views:
  14. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    ???? That ram is most likely NOT compatable. I ould try different memory

15. KNAN2012 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you mean Hyperam not compatible with the motherboard? If so why it is working with the 2GB one. are you suggesting different brand?

I had this error when I install the 2 stick " SYSREM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (Ndu.sys)
    any idea?

16. Johan45

Johan45

Thanks Received:
    Do you mean Kingston Hyper ram? To make any changwes you'll have to first set things to manual.

17. KNAN2012 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, Its Hypertec Hyperam 2GB ddr3 dimm1333MHZ.

18. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    It's probably just some el-cheapo ram in the bios set the memory voltage to 1.6v and insure they are in the correct slots.

19. Johan45

Johan45

Thanks Received:
    Well it's very hard to find any info at all. I doubt they are a matched "dual channel" kit. KNAN2012 try not running them in dual channel that may help as well.

20. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    im lost as well, i have this board next to me and i basically could plug a cat (meow) in the slots and itll boot!

21. KNAN2012 New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL,

I don't get it as well what the problem is, the rams match, I use 2GB at the time on each slot and its fine, BUT when I try to use both stick I get BSOD with random error messages.

I also could not set the memory voltage manually ( could you tell me how?)

May be the rams I am using is not compatible with the board " Hyertec Hyperam" which is generic version of rams.

Any Ideas?????:banghead:

22. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So to summarise: You tried the first stick of 2gb, it works on all slots. You then tried the second stick on all slots, it works fine too. Now you plugged both in, and it doesn't work?

23. KNAN2012 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that's right, nothing wrong with the memory sticks or slots. Just not working with both on. (works but crashes some point like 10 , 20 or 30 mins)

24. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If it works, and then crashes I think there is not enough volts. Have you tried memtest either stick for, say, 20mins?

25. KNAN2012 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't tried memtest yet, because if I am using the 2 stick it may crash before it can finish the test. And I guess testing with one stick will not solve anything.