1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Maximus Formulae and DDR2 Queries???

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by MatTheCat, Jun 22, 2008.

1. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I started typing this out in the other Maximus Formulae thread but feel this post will be too obscurely buried amongst the other hundred or so posts to be paid much attention.

I own an ASUS Maximus Forumla mobo (DDR2 version) which I purchased 3 months ago based on numerous good reviews and the fact that I wanted X38 with PCIe 2.0 AND much more affordable DDR2 Ram.

I have settled for a modest overclock of 3.83Ghz (with E8400 3.00) with the Ram running at 850Mhz 4-4-4-12. I had clocked it a bit higher to around the 4Ghz mark but didnt feel that the minimal improvement in performance was worth all the extra temps and volts.

Anyways, whilst I have no complaints with the performance of the board when it is up and running, it does annoy me how long it takes to post XP. It seems that the Bios post screen sticks around for an unnaturally long time when compared with any other mobo I have had. Indeed, my old PC which now exists in the front room boots up Windows in half the time despite being a much lower spec PC. Does anyone know of anyhting I can do to make windows boot up faster and/or cut down the time that the BIOS screen dispalys itself for?

Also, I am wondering what peoples opinions on DDR2 Vs DDR3 Ram are. Obvioulsy DDR3 is better than DDR2. But, if you can afford 4Gb of good quality DDR2 Ram, but only 2Gb of decentish DDR3 Ram. What would be the wisest choice for best performance? I run XP64 so the full 4Gb is recognised.