1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z 100$: Scam of not?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by ChristTheGreat, Oct 27, 2013.

1. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    Hey g uys,

I saw a motherboard on a local seeling website: Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z Motherboard, 100$.

The guy is telling me the board is working fine, 2 yo. Really hard to test the board for me. Should I look first for physical damage (bent pins, scratch) and if there is none, to buy it? If the board isn't working then I can send it back to asus...

I could put my P8P67 EVO to my server and my H77 to my parents server.

Worth to check it?

Thanks! :toast:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. SKBARON

SKBARON

Thanks Received:
    Could be a bad board or maybe the seller needs the money. I bought a gtx 560ti for 80$ on ebay ( the dude said he needed the money asap) and it's working great. If you decide to give it a try, you should look at how the board looks, if it's in a good physical condition.

Could you be more specific about why it would be difficult to test it?

3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I'd be leary of buying anything untested. But then again, I got my i7 860 for $125(Sandy Bridge was brand new then) off CL untested before. I also got a GTS450 for $25 that worked great, but I was able to test it. I'd say set up a meeting, check out the board and talk to the person. If you feel the person is genuine and the board looks good, go for it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    I don't want to take out my cpu, ram etc,, and bring them with me xD a bit lazy haha.

The guy doesn't have it running rightnow.

I'll look for physical damage (but he has the invoice)

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    If he is saying it works, and it does not, return it to him and get your money back, he might even agree to this.

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, the board is two generations old. Seems like a reasonable price to me.

7. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    I'll give it a shot, I do not plan upgrading to haswell right now, my 2700k does a nice work at 4.5ghz, and I do not have 330$ to put on a CPU right now. selling my 2700k + board wouldn't pay the CPU xD

Next week-end I have to go near him, I'll go see it, there is still 1y warranty!

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    that gts450 was superb man! thanks again! it died an honorable death!

BarbaricSoul says thanks.
  9. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    What exactly killed it?

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    no idea, but i suspect the vrm, tested it with a multimeter and the voltage wont flow out of the vrms.

11. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    i have one sitting here, sold to me by avides through amazon... the board stopped posting completely. I spent 2 weeks trying to figure something out until I painfully had to replace it with a crappy gigabyte board... I spent 45pounds on insurance and sent it back to Germany for rma.

6months later it came back after a lot of hassle and it arrived back in the same packaging seemingly untouched...
    cant rma the board to asus directly as the board shouldn't of been sold in the uk...

I was very nervous this time buying the new maximus iv extreme but this one seems solid....

so I would advise against buying it from someone you don't know and cant easily return it...good luck.. :)

the joke of it was the board had quite a few recovery technologies, so you have to become an expert with the board to the point your

testing voltages yourself like de.das.dude... pulling out the bios chips and flashing them externally,

but what a ball ache just to be stuck with a dead board...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  12. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I thought a bout switching to a fancy z77 used board because of my 30nm memory woes, theres a lot of Asus MAXIMORE TEN THOUSAND!11 boards on ebay for cheap prices but its hard to say if its worth it. The ud3h is warrantied and I paid $150 for it so its like a waste...

13. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I bought my Maximus V Gene S/H and it's been fine, If you already have a Z77 board, just keep that, these ROG boards are expensive, plus the bios has some hellishly complicated settings.

14. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    Your P8P67 EVO is a nice board already not sure what gains other than minor audio, ISRT, or Lucid Virtu you might get from the Maximus.

But if you do need another board for that generation, it's a nice board.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013