1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus Maximus VII Gene installation and usage log

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by erixx, Jul 26, 2014.

1. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    CPU Intel i7 4790K Step 0 Rev 000306C3h
    Mobo Asus Gene VII vr. 0
    RAM 16 Gb G.Skill TridentX F3-2400C10-8GTX

First the negatives, later the positives...

I cannot find which USB3 port uses AI Charger+ to load stuff.
    At least USB Charger (ANOTHER charging app!) says clearly that we have to use the Rog Connect USB port.

In 5 way Intelligent Processors, I saw my FSB at 100 Mhz, and I clicked for no reason on 'use default' (=100) and my computer instantly rebooted, leaving my open programs looking stupid.

EZ Update never finds anything on Asus mobos, afaik. Asus ROG laptop did find updates indeed once I remember...
    Of course we also have the redundant "app" that is Flashback, that also searches on Asus website for updates.... So you can just uninstall the EZUpd, I think.

AI Suite 3, System info, gives XMP RAM profiles, 1 and 2 are the same (10-12-12-31-43-2)
    In UEFI when you select XMP profile 1 or 2 it is the same. But the SPD page gives VERY different XMP profiles. (one is 8-9-9-24-33-2, never could run that!)
    Apparently, the 2 year old RAM sticks have a XMP tRC value, but in this generation of mobos it is gone, no traces of it in RAM settings page.

In Tools UEFI page we get a "Setup animator" setting, undocumented, and on or off looks the same.

We get new and amazing functions like:
    Agressive LPM, Dynamic Storage Acceleration
    Native power mangement, PCI-E native management, PEG ASPM....
    a dozen power new options, plus good old EPU stuff, so I wonder what happens I you activated ALL of them.

And then a hardware button on the mobo to select........wait! Huh? Sound EQ presets (game, music, etc)!! wtf?? For open benchers' entertainment?

Other Z97 Asus boards have a CPU "adaptive voltage" thing, the Gene does not... [Edit] Error, it does. But you have to select it in the CPU voltage drop down: Auto, manual, Adaptive, Off-Set

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  2. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    UEFI BIOS, there are tons of RAM profiles, but all pretty extreme or beyond extreme, nothing for ordinary people :)

Realtek Audio, headphones: HD front panel, left and right is reversed! (tested with 4 sets. normal speaker output is correct) (And I use a working stock connector, nothing amateurish)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  3. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Some inaccuracies in my pposts above, will edit all of this later and make it more readable.

Just noticed AIDA64 conflicts with Asus GPUTweak (screen flickers when both load at startup.)

STOCK VALUEs (important on Haswells)
    Z97 board - Intel i/ 4790K (Devils Canyon)
    CPU Core 1,050 v
    ,, Cache 1,050
    ,, Analogue 1,00
    PCH Core 1,050
    CPU Input 1,95
    PLL Termi 1,20
    VTTDDR 0,0825