• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus Motherboard and RAM. Doubts

System Name Wachuwon
Processor Intel i5 6600k @4.6GHz
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Hero VIII
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 2x8GB CL15
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 770
Storage MyDigitalSSD BPX 240GB M.2
Display(s) AOC Agon AG352UCG (21:9 3440x1440)
Case Cooler Master HAF XB
Power Supply Corsair TX650
Mouse Steelseries Rival
Keyboard Gigabyte Aivia Osmium MX-Red
Hi. I'm from Spain so sorry if I use weird expressions, English is not my first language.

My current computer needs an update and here is what I planned

Components to mantain:

Graphic Card GTX 770 2GB (I'll probably change it next year)
PSU Corsair TX650
SSD Crucial M4 128GB
Some HDD

I plan to buy this:
CPU i5 6600k
Cooler (AIR) Noctua NH-U14s

Motherboard: Asus ROG VIII Ranger | Asus ROG VIII Hero | Asus Z170-A

RAM GSkill 2x8GB speeds 2666-2800-3000

Now the doubts

CPU
This machine is mainly for gaming, said that, I don't think an i7 makes sense.
And please, do not recommend and 4690k or similar. I want the new skylake+ddr4

Motherboard:
I plan to OC, as much as the air cooler can support.

Can't find reviews of the Ranger. How does it compare to the Hero?

I can see in the pics that the Hero has a lot more "stuff" around the cpu area. Can that "stuff" affect the overclocking potential or stability?
Do you think the extra 30-40€ make sense.

Asus Z170-A is another option, but with worse onboard sound.
Colour scheme doesn't matter.
All I wan't in the board is 4 internal usb3.0, decent onboard audio, at least 1 m.2 slot, many pwm fan headers.

RAM
What speed do you think is the best?
Brand? Now I have GSkill and no problems.

Well,that's all.
I hope you can help me to clarify my ideas.
Thanks.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
3000 is seemingly problematic for some CPUs. Make sure to buy "Skylake-compatible" sticks.

There are differences in BIOS between ranger and hero based on user feedback... and paying more will give you more options for OC... but I haven't these boards myself, so maybe I'm completely wrong. Hard to trust 2nd-hand information, especially when it comes to hardware.

System Name $580 Ebay Deal Abomination
Processor Intel Xeon W3680 (3.33GHz 6-core)
Motherboard HP Z400
Cooling 92mm exhaust, 92mm intake
Memory 12GB ECC DDR3 (triple channel)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 760
Storage 2x Crucial M500 240GB (RAID 0)
Display(s) BenQ XL2720Z
Case HP Z400
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply HP Z400 (475W)
Mouse Razer DeathAdder
Keyboard Logitech Illuminated
Hi wachuwey,

The Hero, Ranger and Z170-A motherboards are all strong overclocking motherboards with large VRM heatsinks and many power phases. None of them will limit your overclock with an air cooler, so if money is a concern I would go with the least expensive. The only motherboards I would stay away from if you are overclocking are boards without any heatsinks around the CPU area. The Z170-A can be upgraded to better sound if you need it.

RAM has a very low failure rate in general. G.Skill, Corsair, Patriot, Kingston, you name it -- any brand will be just fine. All the major companies have lifetime warranties on their RAM. I too would make sure it is Skylake compatible -- all DDR4 should be, but it sure wouldn't hurt to double check.

Only difference between Maximus VIII Ranger and Hero is in power supply circuitry. Hero is full digital, Ranger isn't.

Haven't checked the number of phases on each though.

Last edited:
System Name Wachuwon
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Mouse Steelseries Rival
Hmm, very interesting information.
3000 is seemingly problematic for some CPUs. Make sure to buy "Skylake-compatible" sticks.

There are differences in BIOS between ranger and hero based on user feedback... and paying more will give you more options for OC... but I haven't these boards myself, so maybe I'm completely wrong. Hard to trust 2nd-hand information, especially when it comes to hardware.
Better bios and faster updates is always welcome.
Compatibility checked.
The Ranger seem to have less compatible sticks at the moment.
Here wins the Hero, and I found some of this compatible sticks in my favourite/usual store.
G.Skill DIMM 16GB DDR4-3000 Kit 2x8GB CL15 15-15-35 P/N:F4-3000C15D-16GRK

Hi wachuwey,

The Hero, Ranger and Z170-A motherboards are all strong overclocking motherboards with large VRM heatsinks and many power phases. None of them will limit your overclock with an air cooler, so if money is a concern I would go with the least expensive. The only motherboards I would stay away from if you are overclocking are boards without any heatsinks around the CPU area. The Z170-A can be upgraded to better sound if you need it.

RAM has a very low failure rate in general. G.Skill, Corsair, Patriot, Kingston, you name it -- any brand will be just fine. All the major companies have lifetime warranties on their RAM. I too would make sure it is Skylake compatible -- all DDR4 should be, but it sure wouldn't hurt to double check.
How can it be upgraded?
Or you mean upgrade from Z170-A to VIII Ranger/Hero.

Only difference between Maximus VIII Ranger and Hero is in power supply circuitry. Hero is full digital, Ranger isn't.

Haven't checked the number of phases on each though.
Does this Full digital "Extreme Engine Digi+ " supply cleaner power to the cpu or does not matter and it is just a marketing trick?
I'm quite lost in this.

You are helping me a lot.

Last edited:
Motherboard HP Z400
Display(s) BenQ XL2720Z
Case HP Z400
Mouse Razer DeathAdder
How can it (audio) be upgraded?
Or you mean upgrade from Z170-A to VIII Ranger/Hero.

Sound Blaster Recon 3D $35
ASUS Xonar DGX $42

Either of these cards are better than any on-board audio and when paired with the Z170-A, still cheaper than buying the Ranger or Hero.

I don't have links from sellers in Spain, but the ASUS Xonar and Sound Blaster X-Fi or Recon cards are the more popular choices for add-on audio.

System Name Wachuwon
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Mouse Steelseries Rival
Ah, ok, I don't understand you in the previous message.
I thought about upgrading the onboard audio and can't imagine the way to do that.

But the audio is just an extra, I use the onboard an is plenty for my needs. 2.1 speakers and stereo headphones+mic

By the way, Asus Xonar DGX is arround 30€ here.

Does this Full digital "Extreme Engine Digi+ " supply cleaner power to the cpu or does not matter and it is just a marketing trick?
I'm quite lost in this.

You are helping me a lot.

Well, few years ago, digital power supply was only available on the most higher end overclocker boards. Today, you get them on mid to high end boards as standard. And yeah, digital power circuitry provides more accurate, faster responding power delivery. Maybe an electronics engineer can dive in higher detail, but this is where future is heading. Digital PSU's, digital VRM on graphic cards has been used for ages, digital VRM for motherboards is now becoming standard. It's how it'll eventually be, so I guess it has to have certain benefits, otherwise we'd stay on analog power delivery...

Digital VRM's have a faster response time and less voltage overshoot when using Load Line Calibration. They're generally more efficient and a bit safer than analogue...

Tbh I didn't realize ASUS were still using analogue controllers on ROG boards...

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Digital VRM's have a faster response time and less voltage overshoot when using Load Line Calibration. They're generally more efficient and a bit safer than analogue...

Tbh I didn't realize ASUS were still using analogue controllers on ROG boards...
On the cheap ones, sure, and unless you're trying to reach crazy overclocks with LN2, or the best is power savings, it's not important.

And yes, @wachuwey, G.Skill is a great option. choose your board, and go to the G.Skill site to see QVL Listings for the kit you like, make sure it correlates to your planned purchases.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
ASUS Xonar DGX $42

Either of these cards are better than any on-board audio and when paired with the Z170-A, still cheaper than buying the Ranger or Hero.

I don't have links from sellers in Spain, but the ASUS Xonar and Sound Blaster X-Fi or Recon cards are the more popular choices for add-on audio.
I'd put up the realtek alc1150 codecs against those sound cards...

The only reason to upgrade from the alc1150 is if you have higher end cans or speakers or need some functionality onboard doesn't have.

System Name Wachuwon
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Mouse Steelseries Rival
I think I don't have nothing that can be called "high end"
2.1 speakers are crap, but they are off almost all time.
The headphones are the Superlux 668b. I bought this because everybody says they are very good for his price (27€) and I'm very happy.
Compared to my old headphones there is a huge difference, although the old ones are a cheap gaming headset so is fairly easy to improve his quality.
My current onboard audio is Realtek ALC889A and it is ok. Newer should be better, right?

On the cheap ones, sure, and unless you're trying to reach crazy overclocks with LN2, or the best is power savings, it's not important.

And yes, @wachuwey, G.Skill is a great option. choose your board, and go to the G.Skill site to see QVL Listings for the kit you like, make sure it correlates to your planned purchases.
Well I just checked the ROG site and according to ASUS all ROG boards have 100% Digital VRM......
I don't know what the specific difference is between Hero and Ranger in that dept but I imagine they will both overclock well. :)

AM3+ had Digital on M5A97 Evo up to Sabertooth, tho strangely I think Crosshair came with a hybrid analogue/digital affair due to an older design....

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
agree nothing wrong with the ALC1150 infact I would wager that its far superior then either of those cards
In Fact I would also wager that the ALC 88** and 89** based solutions are better then those too crappy overpriced cards hw linked
the xonars are nothing spectacular anyway regardless of what other people may claim
I have said this before if you want a "high end" audio output without all the bullshit processing and dsp's get a HT Omega Card they are bar non the best in terms of raw audio signal fidelity
the components used from the pre-amp caps to the chokes to the pcb its self are all top-grade stuff
again it all comes back to the output device if your speakers or headphones are not up to the task of faithfully replicating the input signal then you are wasting your money and for most people to hear a audible difference you are talking spending mucho-grande cash on high end speakers or headphones,which make more difference then the audio source anyway

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
What the Xonar's offer that make them a cut above the rest is that the D2 and D2X offer real-time encoding...

What that means is that say, watching a DVD (or game, or anything else) with DTS audio... you can have the card decode the DTS to whatever you want, and then re-encode it to Dolby or LPCM or whtever and send the Dolby/LPCM/whatever to an HT receiver. They also offer very flat signals.

However, some onboard audio using ALC1150, like the audio found on the ASUS Z170-DELUXE, far surpass the sonic qualities of the Xonar cards, for sure, in certain workloads.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
What the Xonar's offer that make them a cut above the rest is that the D2 and D2X offer real-time encoding...

What that means is that say, watching a DVD (or game, or anything else) with DTS audio... you can have the card decode the DTS to whatever you want, and then re-encode it to Dolby or LPCM or whtever and send the Dolby/LPCM/whatever to an HT receiver. They also offer very flat signals.

However, some onboard audio using ALC1150, like the audio found on the ASUS Z170-DELUXE, far surpass the sonic qualities of the Xonar cards, for sure, in certain workloads.
the omega cards do that as well and really offloading isn't a thing anymore
if you are gonna run a htpc setup then you may just as well use HDMI anyway of if you don't need full 7.1 lossless optical SP/DIF
and since dolby is a form of sub-signal matrix encoding the output quality to the receiver doesn't much matter anyway, because the burden falls on the receiver

Motherboard HP Z400
Display(s) BenQ XL2720Z
Case HP Z400
Mouse Razer DeathAdder
I think it's funny that if I didn't respond to this, anyone reading this thread would be completely misinformed.

Let's do a comparison. What do you think produces better audio?

This....

Or this?

Surely we can agree that dedicated input, filtering, processing and output stages are better. Right?

There are threads saying the complete opposite of what you're agreeing on here.

The quality of the ALC1150 codec is entirely in the implementation. On paper it may have better "ideal" ratings, but those aren't anything I'd base an opinion off of. The ALC1150 is a software solution to a problem dominated by hardware, compacted to fit onto the leftover space of a motherboard. It's silly to think anything else.

Did anyone do any research before posting opinions without having ever listened to the cards in question?

The Xonar DGX and Sound Blaster cards are purpose-built for gaming with far superior positional audio implementation. That's what the OP will be using this system for -- or is this suddenly a sound card thread now? :rolleyes: Should we talk about DACs and Op-amps too?

Yes, onboard sound is getting better than it used to be. There is now a clearly defined separation of the audio components from the rest of the motherboard on most mobos to cut out a lot of the interference ("hissing") noise that used to plague onboard audio and the Realtek codecs have improved too. But there are some things you can't do as well in software and gaming audio is one of them.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Did anyone do any research before posting opinions without having ever listened to the cards in question?

I sure did research it, by testing many audio cards and motherboard onboard solutions. You can find my results in all my motherboard reviews, posted on the front page here.

I have also had my hearing tested (thanks to a car accident), and I do hear better than most people (roughly 25% better than average) since I am a professionally-trained musician, and my ears have been trained to notice the subtleties and nuances of audio in general.

That said, are some cards better than some onboard? You bet. But as a general rule, each must be compared separately, since some motherboards actually focus on audio first (Such as BIOSTAR boards, and Gigabyte's AMP-Up! audio with replaceable OP-AMPs ), before other features. IN such instances, onboard audio can and does surpass many add-in cards, that truly, as you say about onboard stuff, only offer software-based added features.

the omega cards do that as well and really offloading isn't a thing anymore
if you are gonna run a htpc setup then you may just as well use HDMI anyway of if you don't need full 7.1 lossless optical SP/DIF
and since dolby is a form of sub-signal matrix encoding the output quality to the receiver doesn't much matter anyway, because the burden falls on the receiver

Today, I'd agree. However, not all HT amps support both DTS and dolby, and when I bought my Xonar D2x, HDMI wasn't widely available on HT amps. So those of us that have taken our old HT amps to use with our PC, since we replaced our non-HDMI HT maps with newer ones, can benefit from the functionality offered. My PC audio gear cost more than my PC. :p ROFL. Also, Xonar cards aren't really a thing any more, like you said... they are quite old, with just a couple of recent designs.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
I think it's funny that if I didn't respond to this, anyone reading this thread would be completely misinformed.

Let's do a comparison. What do you think produces better audio?

This....

Or this?

Surely we can agree that dedicated input, filtering, processing and output stages are better. Right?

There are threads saying the complete opposite of what you're agreeing on here.

The quality of the ALC1150 codec is entirely in the implementation. On paper it may have better "ideal" ratings, but those aren't anything I'd base an opinion off of. The ALC1150 is a software solution to a problem dominated by hardware, compacted to fit onto the leftover space of a motherboard. It's silly to think anything else.

The Xonar DGX and Sound Blaster cards are purpose-built for gaming with far superior positional audio implementation. That's what the OP will be using this system for -- or is this suddenly a sound card thread now? :rolleyes: Should we talk about DACs and Op-amps too?

Yes, onboard sound is getting better than it used to be. There is now a clearly defined separation of the audio components from the rest of the motherboard on most mobos to cut out a lot of the interference ("hissing") noise that used to plague onboard audio and the Realtek codecs have improved too. But there are some things you can't do as well in software and gaming audio is one of them.
you seem to be making the assumption that more on the pcb is better thats completely and utterly incorrect and ill tell you right now that that board is going to have a better SNR then that card due to the caps used and the way its laid out
btw xonars and creative cards are cmedia/realtek chips underneath

Last edited:
System Name Headshot
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VI Hero ROG
Cooling Phanteks Glacier One 360 MPH
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 @ 3200 16-18-18-18-36
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Vega64 (Linux)/Gigabyte RX 6600 (Windows VM)
Storage Cruscial P5 1TB nVME, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TBx2 (Home/Data), 2TB Seagate (Games)
Display(s) 2x Acer 1080P 144HZ
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe White
Audio Device(s) Schiit Stack (Schiit Audio Modi 2 DAC + Magni 3 AMP + Loki)
Power Supply eVGA Supernova 1000 G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Arch Linux with Windows 10 Gaming VM
you seem to be making the assumption that more on the pcb is better thats completely and utterly incorrect and ill tell you right now that that board is going to have a better SNR then that card due to the caps used and the way its laid out
btw xonars and creative cards are realtek chips underneath
Xonars are cmedia oxygen based chips, some creative cards like the audigy rx or fx (one is realtek the other the older audigy 4) are realtek based :)

Last edited:
ASUS Xonar DGX $42

I picked this up for $40 after my 10yr old Audigy 2 died. Turned out to be a dodgy speaker wire...lol

but hey...only $40 NZD.. and way better than ALC1150 or Xonar..

if I still had my DD HT receiver (which was stolen) I'd prob be happy with bitstreaming via onboard. Then again......I listen to a lot of music through my PC as well, so maybe not. lol

Last edited:
System Name Wachuwon
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Mouse Steelseries Rival
Btw @ OP the Ranger and 16GB of Gskill cost $900 here in NZ...
Here in Spain is around 340€.

Right now there is a little bit of shortage of ddr4 and motherboards.
August was a month of vacation for almost everybody. In the next two weeks there will be supply again in stores.