1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Motherboard doesn't post

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Duxx, May 23, 2009.

1. Duxx Guest

So I just got my new motherboard from ASUS. Apparently I still can't get my computer to perform functionally.... I have replaced the Motherboard, tested all 4 sticks of ram individually, tried a different HDD, tried my E2200, replaced g92 with frinds gtx... still can't get anything to POST. Nothing on screen, no power to USB (mouse, keyboard) The only thing I haven't tried is the PSU. The Fans spin, the lights come on, LED's etc all perform... i bought the 620hx because i didn't want to have to worry about it. Could this potentially be the problem? I have no idea what to try. On my old motherboard I reset the CMOS, replaced battery, etc etc.. I need help BAD. TIA

2. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    That sucks man, sorry to hear :shadedshu I say give your friend's PSU a try and see if that works. Edit: and if you have 3 other rigs why didn't you try one of those PSUs yet?

3. Duxx Guest

2 of them are laptops... 3rd one doesn't have 8 pin for mobo.. its old as shiiiitttt. And its only 200W max..

4. etrigan420

etrigan420

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like the PS is about all that it *could* be...(or the monitor maybe??? Have you tried a different one?)

No beep codes or anything?

...and yes, I know that it's a "rookie" mistake, but are you sure that you're not shorting something out on the back side of the mobo? Both mobo headers plugged in?

I'm grasping at straws here man, I know how frustrating this can be... :banghead:

Have you stripped it down to the bare essentials and tried a boot sequence? (with no drives or video attached...1 stick of RAM)

Do you have a boot flash on a usb...crap that wont help you out either...I dunno man...running out of my (admittedly limited) ideas!

5. Duxx Guest

Tried a different monitor, both headers in, i may try the 4 pin see if i get any luck. No optical, no sound card, no usb, only cpu, ram, psu, hd, and gfx... Thanks for helping though, do appreciate the ideas.

6. etrigan420

etrigan420

Thanks Received:
    Does the comp *fully* wind up? Like it's running fine, just not out putting to the screen?

Or does it do the restart cycle?

What OS?

7. Duxx Guest

Ya, everything spins up and stays that way. No restarts or anything.

XP.

This is the 2nd time, the first time this happened was over christmas break, cured it by leaving it unplugged for 3 weeks while on vaca... but thought it was the motherboard...

8. etrigan420

etrigan420

Thanks Received:
    Damn...it's gotta be either the PSU or the monitor...do you have a way to hook up one of the laptops to the monitor just to see if it's functional?

9. Duxx Guest

i used another monitor, it gets no signal at all either. I'm hoping bogmali lets me steal his.. he is only a 2 hour drive away :shadedshu:shadedshu

10. etrigan420

etrigan420

Thanks Received:
    Well it certainly looks like the PS then...but it's strange that when it happened previously that just letting it sit for a couple of days fixed it...even if just momentarily.

11. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a question, are you 100% sure that board doesn't support 4-pin power also? Most of the older boards do. Also, 200 watts is plenty to get the system to POST.

12. Duxx Guest

It does have a 4 pin, doesnt have a 6 pin for my gfx card. It also doesnt have a 24 pin, if I used a 20 pin and the 4 pin, would it still be sufficient? My mobo doesn't have a speaker and i have no external speaker so I can't hear a beep code if there was one.

13. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah nah I guess I didn't think of it being too old to have the full 24-pin power connector either. I once used a board that said it supported 20-pin power and it blew the PSU instantly so I would say don't go for that.

14. Haydar New Member

Thanks Received:
    dont wanna sound to smartazzish, but have you plugged in the power supply of your cpu?
    you sound like you havin a similar problem that i haved acouple months ago when i where rebuilding my pc...

15. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Pull the board out of your case and on its box. Case may be causing a short near the I/O.

16. Duxx Guest

I'm going to get a motherboard speaker to hear the beep sequence. If I get no love from that, i'll take it out and test outside the case.

Thanks for changing the thread title, I got carried away :D

17. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I don't wanna crush your hope; I have a MSI board with similar problems of which I (almost certainly) know its DOA. I tried like 5 HDDs, SATA and IDE, jusz as many drives, like three GPUs, three monitors, a hell of RAM sticks and three CPUs and two PSUs.

BUT I haven't tried a speaker yet now that it was mentioned here...

18. Duxx Guest

Well I would really hope that they wouldn't send me a DOA board for my RMA... That would just be f'ed up on their part and put a big X next to ASUS.

19. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    THat certainly would suck, yes. But don't give up hope yet until you haven't tried a speaker (like me:laugh:)

20. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    LOL you must have thought I was Paulie. I'm not a mod :p

Any luck outside the case?

21. chuck216

chuck216

Thanks Received:
    One obvious thing is being missed, It's not mentioned in the original post whether or not the motherboard has onboard video or is using a videocard. If it's using a videocard make sure it's properly seated in the slot and if it uses PCIe power connectors that they are properly connected. That's the most common reason for a failed post.

If onboard video... I don't know then.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  22. Duxx Guest

Just woke up, getting a speaker to find out beep codes hopefully within the next hour or two.. I know you aren't a mod, i was just adding it in as an extra to whoever did it. :p

No onboard video, i have re-seated about 10 times and the 6 pin power connector is in, otherwise it screams at me when I turn it on. :)
    :respect::respect:

23. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    Try a PCI vid card ?

and clear cmos for the fun of it

24. Duxx Guest

Don't have a PCI video card.

I cleared Cmos like 20 times on old comp. I figured straight from the box wouldn't need me to.. but I will after i get a speaker for mobo. Hopefully that tells me something :/

25. Duxx Guest

Have taken PC out of computer, hooked up PSU, RAM, CPU, HDD and gfx card. Nothing different has happened. Still searching for a speaker.. bahh