1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS P5K-E or GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P ?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by wolf2009, Mar 21, 2008.

1. wolf2009 Guest

building a new system , with a q6600 . main reason for looking for these boards over cheaper ones is because of onboard firewire ports and better northbridge cooling .

so which one should i buy ?
  2. Wetbehindtheears New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been lookin at those as well and am opting towards gigabyte but to complicate matters really want a maximus :confused:
  3. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    unless u have the money for a maximus.

Id go gigabyte the DQ6 series is exellent in all apsects overclocking build quality etc.
    But is expensive even compared to the maximus.
    I cannot comment on the DS4 DS5 series etc but im sure they dont lack quality.

I heard the p5k has some bug issues??

My Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 did 3.6ghz 24/7 on my quad and 4.3ghz for my max test this wasnt a easy task took time and alot of tweaking but for a older 965 chipset it sure did well.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  4. mitsirfishi

mitsirfishi New Member

Thanks Received:
    nothing wrong with the p5k i had memory compatibility issues to begin with but with bios update that soon sorted it plus good overclocker to mine has reached 540fsb with a e6300 so i cant really moan
  5. slugzkea New Member

Thanks Received:
    don't get the GA board. i have it and it's terrible. terible oc, terrible droop, stupid voltage options and the board limits your fps to 30-50 frames while gaming if you apply too much vtt or nb volts.

gigabyte sucks.
  6. mitsirfishi

mitsirfishi New Member

Thanks Received:
    abit of bull there... nothing wrong with gigabyte boards imo id go for the asus most boards have vdroop even with options to help it keep stable and consistant they still drop where do you have your facts on 30-50fps difference ? motherboards vary slightly but not that much
  7. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Are you truly going to be using onboard firewire wolf? If that's the only reason you need I say look into a PCI card and choose any board you like.

But if your still persistent, the P5K-e I would trust more. I've heard of a few problems with GB's P35 line.
  8. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Those problems only exist on the P35 DS3L boards, something about them just doesnt work right (or guys realise how popular these boards are. If so many people buy them odd problems will occur more frequently). Anyway either choices are good at the moment, but dont expect to recieve a board that will clock at 500FSB+. Intel has evidently stopped shipping such crazy clocking P35 chips...

Please note, the P5K-E focuses on the features enthusiasts usually forget about-the audio, and the NIC. The P5K-E has a poor onboard marvell yukon gigabit NIC.... I doubt it can really do one gigabit, same story applies for the onboard audio solution,compared to the EP35 DS3P. The EP35 DS3P is a more "quality" board overall, with all the features being relatively good.

EDIT: P5K-E? WTF? Err no way. Go for the EP35 DS3P. Why? The P5K-E has a rather poor NB cooler, at the same price the EP35 DS3P wins hands down.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
    JrRacinFan says thanks.
  9. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Ahhhh. I got confused with Gigabyte's revisions. My bad TK.

But trust me, it may happen again! :p