1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus P5K-Pro users warning !

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Zanga, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Zanga New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just a word of warning for P5K_Pro users. Because of the pressure applied on the cpu by the cooler (including box-cooler) and the lack of a backside retainer, the PCB starts to bend. The biggest problem is with the MOSFET cooling heatsinks. The deformed shape of the board makes the heatsinks have contact with only 2-3 MOSFTES near the the retainer clips instead of all 12.
    The same thing happens to both heatsinks.

To fix the problem i have attached some adhesive rubber pads on the backside of the pcb just on the middle of the heatsink. When the motherboard goes back int-o the case it's beeing forced to keep a normal shape, thus all MOSFTES making contact. I also removed the thermal pads and put some silver based thermal paste.

I'm sorry that i took only one picture:

Attached Files:

Lt_JWS and JC316 say thanks.
  2. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Nice find. I wonder if that is whats causing my P5Q- Pro to act up when overclocking......
  3. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's the reason I hate those boxed pushpin coolers. It's just horrid how much they bend the motherboard. And then Intel has the nerve to have guidelines on how much pressure aftermarket coolers can force on the socket. End result is my Thermalright with backplate nearly has no pressure at all with the Intel specs, while the stock cooler looked like it was going to break something.
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The same thing will happen to any Asus X38/X48 board too. Push-pins FTL!
  5. Lt_JWS

Lt_JWS

Thanks Received:
    thanks, i'll keep an eye out on mine now.
  6. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    ooh I hope my P5Q pro doesn't do this :(
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The best remedy for this is to not use push pins. You can buy backplates, bolts/screws, etc. The backplate is key since the mounting pressure goes to that instead of the motherboard. If you have no option but to use the push-pins, remove the stock mosfet cooler and use some ramsinks instead.
  8. JC316

Thanks Received:
    After I eat some lunch, I will confirm if this happens with a P5Q-Pro. I used pushpins on mine and it took alot of force. It could account for why I am having the FSB issues that I am.
  9. JC316

Thanks Received:
    P5Q-Pro does NOT have this issue. They already have a thermal tape and it's in a spot where mobo flexing will not affect it.
  10. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if the pro is the same. But my P5Q deluxe uses backplates on the mofset heatsinks. :D

Plus I bought the bolt on kit for my Xigma. Boo! Push Pins. Arent they still using them on LGA-1366?
  11. JC316

Thanks Received:
    Nah, the Pro has a push pin HS that it uses. No backplates at all on the Pro.
  12. Zanga New Member

Thanks Received:
    Another note, some normal stuff. The chipset heatsink has a plastic like thermal interface. The temperature got pretty high, cleaning the thermal plastic goo or whatever and adding some silver based thermal paste took the chipset with the original heatsink and a small 40 mm fan to a few degrees over room temperature from scorching 60+ degrees.

PS: the "cooper looking" heatsinks are made out of anodized aluminum, and have a lousy finish, You can fit a fine flat screwdriver between the machining marks. If someone have the patience to lap them till bare aluminum the efficiency will be even higher.