1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

asus p5vd1-x and dual core 6300 will not boot

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by pneffkell, Mar 6, 2007.

1. pneffkell New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just picked up an Asus p5vd-x and a pentium 4 dual core e6300. I have the system all put together but when I start it up it will not boot. I have removed all memory and tried, nothing. Added just one stick back, nothing, no drives nothing, just the hard drive nothing. Anything I can do to figure out if its the chip or the MB besided take it somewhere?
  2. Jadawin

Jadawin

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I think you've got some things wrong. There is no such thing as a Pentium 4 E6300 dual core. The E6300 is not a Pentium4, it's a totally different CPU, which uses the same socket, but only mechanically. But anyway, here

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=206&model=584&modelmenu=1

it doesn't mention the Core2 Duo, so it may be that it doesn't work. But on other pages, it says it will, so you may just need a BIOS update.
  3. pneffkell New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes thanks for the correction

Ya i realized after the bost. It is a core 2 duo e6300. and some places it says it will work. How would I go about finding out if its a bad md or just an incompatible chip? Got a good deal on the chip but not good enough if it won't work on the md
  4. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
  5. Jadawin

Jadawin

Thanks Received:
  6. pneffkell New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ya i need to use that board so taht I can use my current memory and video card. I will just exchange the core 2 for a pentium D
  7. Jadawin

Jadawin

Thanks Received:
    If you want a cheap board that supports it and still use DDR memory and such, get an Asrock 4Core Dual VSTA. You can use AGP and DDR now and even use PCIe and DDR2 later with that board.
  8. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    exchanging a core 2 duo for a pentium D would be one big leap backwards in performance!! Do what jadawin suggested and change the board with that nice Asrock one :)