1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus p5w dh deluxe BIOS emergency :(

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by t_ski, Sep 26, 2007.

1. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I finally go around to putting my new e6850 in today. Before, I made sure to check the asus website to see if the mobo was compatible with this CPU. The asus site said it was as of BIOS rev 2103. I knew I was running 2206, so I figured it would be OK.

I installed the CPU and tried to boot. The system starts but does not post. I figured I should just clear the CMOS and it should be ok. However, it still won't post. I went back to the asus site and checked again - yes, the mobo is compatible with bios rev 2103. I follow the link they give and it takes me to BIOS rev 2301, not 2103.

So I put the old e6400 back in and it won't boot. I tried to flash the BIOS from the USB, a CD-r with the BIOS file on it and a floppy, all with the file named p5wdh.rom as instructed in the manual. None of the devices are even being accessed :(

Please help :confused:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    try taking the cmos battery out for a couple of hours and do the disharge of mobo and bios reset...then maybe just maybe the old cpu will get you back in...good luck
  3. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not to be insulting, but did you double check the power cables did not come loose/were all reconnected (PCIE/4pin CPU etc), 'cause I've given myself a heart attack like that before. Are you getting any beeps at all when you power on?
  4. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I'm not getting any beeps at all. The system powers up, the drives seek, then the HDD activity light goes off. All wires are secure and checked - I had to remove the vid card to reset the CMOS and made sure they were plugged in.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Did you reset your raid array in bios after clearing CMOS,or set it to boot from floppy first to flash with the new bios.
  6. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    so . . . if you hear the HDD's being accessed, then it should be safe to assume that the BIOS is at least entering POST.

You were careful enough not to accidentally bend any pins in the CPU socket, right?

just to double check, you made sure your VGA is 100% seated and that the vid-out cable is 100% seated?
  7. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm? What method did you use to flash the BIOS. Hope it wasn't the Asus Autoupdate, as they say on the ASUS forums to strictly NOT use this method or it can corrupt the BIOS chip.

Also, when you cleared the CMOS, how long did you leave out the battery/move the jumper. I did mine overnight as I found only 10-20minutes did nothing for me (but this was due to a bad overclock).

If your BIOS chip is screwed, you can either order another one from the ASUS site (think they are $20), or if still under warranty, do an RMA. I know these solutions suck, but that's all I can think of.

Hope one of these help, and good luck.
  8. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    OK, I got it straightened out. It probably was not letting the CMOS clear long enough, although I have not had that issue previously on this board. I ended up ripping everything out of the case, put the board on a techstation and hooked up a different PSU and vid card (the ones from the DFI rig) and used the stock HSF and no drives. While I was taking everything out I set the CMOS to clear and removed the battery. This time around it got a good long clear, and I was able to post. I powered down and hooked up a floppy, then used the EZ Flash in the BIOS to update to the 2301. Shut it down, cleared the CMOS while I ate dinner, then powered up and checked everything out. I installed the new CPU and rebooted half a dozen times getting everything set up in the BIOS again. Fortunately, everything seems to be working great. I've had to dumb down the ram settings (was @ ddr800, now 667) due to the higher stock FSB, but I'll get it back up to speed as soon as I try to do some OCing.

Thanks for the input guys, and sorry for freaking out on ya :twitch:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    glad you got it sorted out man! :toast:

have fun with that new proc :rockout:
  10. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I intend on it. Idling right now at stock @ 18C :D
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Glad you sorted it out. Have fun!:toast:

Edit:
    LOL - well I guess there's a parrot here.
  12. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    :toast:hip-hip-hurray:toast:
  13. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    what are the chances that the thread under this one is about the same board's bios?
  14. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    I want your 2900XT
  15. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Probably. I hijacked that one with the same problem, hoping that some of the P5W DH owners that were already subscribed to that one would show up and offer their two cents :respect:
    Crunching for Team TPU