1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS P5W DH DELUXE too old for HD4850 crossfire?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by chron, Jun 23, 2008.

1. chron New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so back in the day (Like 2 years ago) I bought an asus p5w dh deluxe and an x1950 xt with hopes of running crossfire. It didn’t take long for my sapphire x1950xt to die and I got fed up and decided to get an 8800GTS. A little later I gave the gts to my brother and I've been running an overclocked 8800gt ever since (I've loved it!)

Now I'm thinking of pursuing the crossfire route again with two new hd4850’s. I just recently got a new job, and spending 400 shouldn’t be a problem.

My question is – will my p5w dh deluxe give me decent performance with two of these hd4850’s? Should I stick with one 8800gt at 16x or go with two hd4850’s at 8x 8x?
  2. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, should be ok. It's a good motherboard :)
    chron says thanks.
  3. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    The 8x speed for the PCI-E lane, plus if it is only 1.1 spec for the PCI-E will bottleneck the full potential of the HD 4850.
    chron says thanks.
  4. chron New Member

Thanks Received:
    So would 8x 8x with two hd 4850's be better than one 16x 8800gt? Would the performance difference be negligible?
  5. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes it will still work and will be fast, BUT at resolutions above 2500 width it will start to not be as fast as dual 16x.

But if you dont have a 30inch widescreen you will be fine.
    chron says thanks.
  6. chron New Member

Thanks Received:
    right on. I think i'll go ahead and make the leap forward. I couldnt find drivers for the card at ati's website, but then i read it's open source or something? I dunno. thats probably answered in another thread somewhere along with how well these things overclock.
  7. stytch New Member

Thanks Received:
    any update on this?

Just curious if you ever followed through with this, and what your results were like...I'm sitting with the same mb :rockout: and can acquire the to 4850's easily...but...don't want to go through the pains if no gains...

I'd appreciate an update, thanks. Actually I'm willing to bet the info would pertain to many others that are holding on to the older mb's--its simple finances driving my upgrades, and this seems like the next logical step to keep my board running another year or two (meaning I would have gotten the best bang for my buck in a mb yet, since i bought the P5W DH when it came out).

thanks for any feedback
  8. dieselcat18

dieselcat18

Thanks Received:

I also have the ASUS P5W DH board, bought it when it 1st came out several years ago.....it's sitting idle right now with a 8800GTX in it and I was also thinking of exploring the CF abilities with a pair of 4850's.....Please do give us an update on your findings if you can, I would be very interested to hear the results.......:)

*+