1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS P67 Sabertooth 3 DIMMS

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by ripsky4501, Sep 12, 2011.

1. ripsky4501

ripsky4501 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello all,

My question is:

Can I install 3 DIMMs in my ASUS P67 Sabertooth motherboard? I've always installed 2 or 4 DIMMs in systems and I'd like to know if it will work with 3.

Thanks!

2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    It will work for sure, but I don't know if it's trichannel or something so I let someone else explain that.

But it will work.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Well it is only Dual Channel. I can't say what would happen if you populate 3 slots. I would assume it would only run in single channel.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Mismatched configs work fine. Intel and AMD both feature some form of "Flex-Mem" that will either have the system run in "unbalanced" dual-channel, or it will run dual-channel, with the odd DIMM set to it's own channel, and not used until the others are in full use.

This link is from 2004, so this is nothing new, either:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-011965.htm\

I know the chipset supports the FlexMem mode, but I am unsure if the BIOS does. This questino was asked long ago by a user running quad sticks in triplechannel mode on X58/1366, and he still had trichannel, plus the full speed of trichannel, but all of the installed sticks were accessible, without any performance penalty.

10 Year Member at TPU