1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus P6X58D-E rebooting, how did you make yours work?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by D007, Oct 23, 2011.

1. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Asus P6X58D-E rebooting randomly.

I have went through 3 motherboards now and they all keep doing the same thing. I'm starting to think My limited understanding of Asus's method of bios tuning, is causing the pc to reboot.
    It rebooted once even in bios. It runs perfect for days sometimes though so I'm thinking it's voltage or some setting I'm missing.

The PC in question has an asus p658d-e mobo
    win 7 x64 home
    core i7 950 cpu
    700 watt ocz psu
    3x2 gb Patriot extreme ddr3 2000 memory
    radeon 6850 gpu
    Everything is brand new.

It rebooted once even while I was in bios.
    It hasn't done that since but that can't be a good sign I'd think.
    I have returned 2 mobos and this is my third, all are doing the same thing.
    Could someone please post me your Asus px58d-e mobo overclocking specs?
    Like what you did for voltages on everything to see if I'm just doing this wrong?
    Idc if the p runs at stock speeds, that would be just fine.
    But It just won't.
    It tries to run the memory at 1066?! wtf..
    I think I'm just use to gigabytes layout and this is confusing me.
    Please please please, someone list their voltages and what they enabled or disabled in this mobo so I can get it to work right.. ty. ; ;

I have to work so I won't be on again until tonight but please, I'd appreciate any insight.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    While i can't give you any specific advice pertaining to your dilemma, have you tried clearing the CMOS/BIOS settings. usually on ASUS boards you have a jumper that needs to be put across two pins that would clear the BIOS settings.
    2ndly. from the random reboots, i would think it's either something overheating (i.e. maybe the CPU heatsink not clamped down properly or too little or too much thermal paste).
    3rdly. faulty PSU?
    you mention that it's done this with all three mobos suggests it's not the mobo as such. usually when starting out on a new build, you should set things in the BIOS to auto unless you know the settings you wish to change (i.e. RAM timings etc) but usually suitably recent mobos do all that for you so there's no tweaking involved unless OCing.

3. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Will try the jumper. But I have reset defaults in bios. I assumed it would handle it.
    I have tried everything else though.
    Temps are very good on the processor under monitoring.

4. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    no <3 ?
    anyone? lol...
    I try the profiles, the xmp and the others ones and all kinds of voltages including the auto setting. But it just randomly reboots still.. ; ;

5. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    What kind of reboot is it? Is it getting a blue screen? Does it just hard reset instantly? Does it soft reboot? Need more specific details.

If it's blue screening/glitching out and then resetting it could be overclocking settings (ie: too little or too much voltage)

If it's soft rebooting it could be a software/hardware issue but unlikely hardware.

If it's just randomly hard resetting with no blue screen or any warning at all it sounds like it's being shorted out possibly. It could be an electrical short. Make sure the motherboard is properly and securely mounted with standoffs and grounded properly. If it's making contact with a piece of metal or something it could be shorting it out and making it reset.

This issue has been happening with three different motherboard models, or just three of the same model? Also, have you reinstalled Windows fresh when changing motherboards or did you just swap it out with windows still installed?

Need a bit more specific info, thanks!

6. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    It's an instant reboot. Shuts totally down, no bluescreen.
    Acts as if the reset button was pushed out of nowhere.

I reformatted when I installed the new mobos each time.
    After three rebuilds I'd be surprised if it's wiring related. I have checked it all a lot.
    I have rewired it though several times just to make sure. I have taken everything out several times and put it back together as well.

7. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    I'm still convinced it's not mobo related. Three new (and therefore different) motherboards wouldn't be the cause of this instant reset. get your hands on another PSU, i've heard stories that resets occur randomly if the PSU is failing.

8. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah sounds like PSU/Power issues or some kind of short.

9. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    K if it happens again I'm packin up the psu and shipping it out. tx. ^^