1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus P7P55D-E Pro Intel LGA 1156

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by cadaveca, Feb 28, 2011.

1. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand that, how is one half-speed? Do you mean two are PCIe 2.0 and one is PCIe 1.1?

Edit: Oddly enough I actually just did a build with this motherboard a few months ago so I checked the manual. I can't believe I didn't notice that. The manual says all the slots are PCIe 2.0, but the white one is 2.5GT/s and the blue are 5.0GT/s, how is that possible? I though if it was 2.5GT/s it meant it was PCIe 1.1...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
    cadaveca says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Nice review, I was eyeballing this MB hard when I recently did my i5 build, I really like the layout. I have 2 pci-e 1x cards, my Auzen Forte, and my Diamond ATI HD650 TV card. I'm much more limited with my current 55i Sabertooth than either this board or my old P5Q Deluxe P45 board. Both my 1x cards are bundled up around my HD5870. One half covering the intake...but so far heat isn't an issue. If I hadn't got the 55i deal, it would've been this board. W

cadaveca says thanks.
  4. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    I have his some months older brother without SATA/USB3. And I agree with this nice review.
    I can add that with a little tweaking you can have EPU6 profiler at auto and enjoy both 4000 overclocks when needed, and then 1786 Mhz for idling, everything automatized.

Kursah: funny my PCI-E setup is the same, nearly: 1 16x videocard, 1 1x audiocard and 1 1x HD TV card. Nothing more fits after putting an Arctic cooler con the videocard.

cadaveca says thanks.
  5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, guys! I spent about a week with the board, and was really impressed with it, as at first look, I dodn't expect too much, after playing with the Gene.

The power savings are really nice! I've employed a Zalman unit to measure power consumption thought the 8-pin CPU connector(also connected one meter to each PCIe plug in the vga); It's proved quite useful, and paints a very different picture than just a killawatt!

[​IMG]

Working on another review as I type this, so keep your eyes peeled for the next one! ;)

Attached Files:

6. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    What Zalman are you using?

7. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    The one in the pic? :p

8. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    A model would be nice, I can't seem to find anything like that on their site.:D

9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
  10. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I found it right after I posted that. :(

Thanks!

11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    NO problem, man. pretty useful unit, tried them out with various PSUs and boards now.

12. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I'd be nice if they made one for the 24 pin as well.

13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, for sure. Would be a good way to measure PSU efficiency.

I turned to the Zalman unit as while a Kill-a-Watt would give total system numbers, those numbers have very little relation to what the board is actually using, due to things liek fans and drive, and other goodies.. With one of the largest differences in boards being PWM design, I think it's a good reference point as is, but I'm always exploring new options that will bring you guys better, more accurate data.

The one thing about 24-pin connectors is that they also power PCIe too, so wouldn't really give usuable numbers on it's own, in my opinion. You might be surprised how little power gets sucked through the 6-pins of my 5870.

:toast:

14. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Great review Ca!

cadaveca says thanks.
  15. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Oh, that is exactly why I'd want a 24-pin version, to measure how much is really being pulled through the PCIe slots, since that is really the only major thing being powered by the 24 pin anymore.:laugh:

I think the Kill-a-watt is an ok way to meaure how much power a board uses, because if everthing else stays the same except the board, you can see how much difference chaning the motherboard makes in power draw. But the Zalman definitely makes a great way to test PWM efficiency across various boards, which is a really cool thing to know.

16. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Picked up an i5-650 real cheap of off CL, so I bought one of these and it's due here on Monday! Do you think I'll see any improvement over my FX60?:rolleyes:

About that x1 slot, I read it somewhere about why that is, but I can't remember where.

Nice review. I'm feeling more sure about my decision to go with this board all the time.

cadaveca says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Good stuff! I didn't have any issues at all, so I'm sure it will work well for ya. lane situation is the same as P55, so I don't know what to tell ya guys about that one. Simply put, there is more to PCIe 2.0 than just bandwidth, I guess, so the slot conforms to all those other bits, but not for bandwidth. That's why the bridge chip on this board is there, to provide the needed bandwidth for the USB 3.0 and the Sata 6Gbps chips, and I also know that P67 very purposefully fixes this same issue as well. It's that and memory control improvements that P67 offers over P55, it's just unfortunate that the issue with those chipsets means finding boards right this moment for 1155 is a bit difficult.

18. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Did you happen to try SLI with a Clarksdale CPU? Asus says that you can't, but I saw another review where they did.:confused:

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    No clarkdales, sry.

20. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Where did you see that ASUS says you can't run SLi with a Clarksdale?

21. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. chuchnit

chuchnit New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cadaveca I just want to give you props on the motherboard reviews. They are high quality and I sure hope Wizzard keeps using you.

cadaveca says thanks.
  23. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
  24. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that is exactly what they are saying. They are also saying P55 boards can only do hardware Crossfire, meaning cards without a crossfire connecter won't work(why would you even bother anyway?).

25. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Another is underway right this moment and hopefully more products arrive at my door shortly. I got this sample last Thursday or Friday, and the entire review went rather well, considering some of the crap I dealt with while working on it.

I had run out of TIM, so went to the PC store to pick some up. Like most, I couldn't help myself, and made a few other purchases. After packing them into my backpack, I went to sling it over my shoulder, and popped my shoulder right out of the socket!

So I wrote this review with just one hand, even! :laugh:

That slowed me down a fair bit, but it also forced me to spend a bit more time with the board and get a better feel for what it offers.

I have been having issues with my 5870's for quite some time now too...maybe a story to tell after it's all over and done with, as it seems I may have to update my bench platform and redo a bunch of benching because of a VGA swap.

So thanks very much for the support; It's greatly appreciated! I put alot into it!;)

Cold Storm says thanks.