1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS P8P67-M - Win7 USB Install issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Frederik S, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys,
    So I finally got my new rig together except for my SSD. I am trying to install Win 7 on an old 400 GB HDD I had laying around. I do not have a spare DVD driver at the moment so I created a bootable USB driver with the Win 7 install data on. The system lets me boot the drive, but when I try to install it stops and says that it wants a device driver for the disk setup, like the old F6 on Win XP.

I checked on ASUS's site and Win 7 should install without extra drivers needed. I even made the USB driver disk and let Win 7 decide what driver to use, but it does not let me get on.

I have installed another PC with the same image on the same USB stick, so I am pretty sure that part works.

I have tried all the different SATA modes, like AHCI, IDEMODE: compatible and enhanced. But I am still stuck.

The funny thing is that when I press "browse" to find the driver that the Win 7 installation supposedly needs I can see the disk that I want to install on and all the directories on it.

Google did not yield any good results so I am hoping someone here might have some experience with this sort of issue.

Best regards,
    Frederik

2. chevy350

chevy350

Thanks Received:
    Is the usb plugged into a 3.0 port or a 2.0 port? Mine did the same when I tried to install from the 3.0 since it needs to install their own drivers. I just changed it over to a 2.0 port and it was up and running in 15 mins.

Frederik S says thanks.
  3. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    Thanks! Will try that when I get home!

Cheers,
    Frederik

4. chevy350

chevy350

Thanks Received:
    also might try unplugging anything else usb except for keyboard and mouse, good luck ;)

Frederik S says thanks.
  5. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    It worked chevy!! Thanks a lot :)

6. chevy350

chevy350

Thanks Received:
    no problem, had an issue like that when I got mine......thought hmmmm, USB3 should install the OS faster, and no dice...glad I could help ;)