1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS P8Z77 V Pro sees only half the RAM

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Lyzard, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, try reseating your CPU and not tightening it too much.
    +1: A little late but honestly, I had said this before. This should have been one of the first things you did aside from checking the BIOS and reseating the RAM.

2. mgtechus New Member

Thanks Received:
    New CPU

I finally got a RMA done and my new CPU arrives today from Intel. I still have the RMA pending on the Corsair RAM and I am curious if the 32mb will work with the new CPU.
    My last CPU was made in Costa Rica.

Let you know the outcome.

3. mgtechus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cnnot get 32mb to work On ASUSP8Z77-V MB

CPU was not the problem. Only thing left is exchanging the memory.:banghead:

Aquinus says thanks.
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I think it is getting back at you for calling it 32Mb and not 32Gb. :p
    Edit: Now I'm confusing myself. Where is this 32Mb coming from?

At least you narrowed it down... but I thought all the sticks worked, just not all together. Now I'm confused. :confused:

5. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    I am telling you its the pins. Take a photo of the socket and post it. I have tested these boards for a long time. 1 pin out of whack can do it. Please take a photo.

6. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I had this problem with a couple used x58 motherboards I had and it was the pins on the motherboard that were bent that were causing the problem...

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    If it's not pins on the motherboard causing it, then just have patience after reporting it to ASUS wait for a new BIOS release that might fix it, or just RMA the board coz its not the CPU or RAM.

Most people that have had this problem recently it's coz of some BIOS fault, and the problem is across all motherboard vendors, I've seen the issue on Intel Genuine Boards, Gigabyte, ASUS, Asrock,.... etc and the problem seems to be solved with a new BIOS release.

8. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Guess you won't take an easy photo. I don't see why you keep bucking this. I had a Asus Z77 board plus a X58 motherboard and I experienced the same problem and it was 1 tiny bent pin. I just love it when peeps ask for advise, someone asks to take a simple photo and they cannot post it. I tested your board with the old bios and had no problems with it so it is NOT a bios issue. The problem IS NOT ACROSS THE BOARD with all motherboard vendors. I tested probably 15 Z77 boards with NO memory issues BTW. I tested Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI and Biostar. Not 1 memory issue on any of the boards. I tested your board and the Deluxe.....

Help me, help you. If the photo checks out, so be it but you have a few persons suggesting this so prove us wrong so we can help identify the problem. So far you haven't gotten anywhere.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/asus-p8z77-v-deluxe-and-pro/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
    Aquinus says thanks.
  9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    +1: It doesn't hurt to try. I mean you're quickly running out of options and I wouldn't be trusting ASUS' RMA dept. more than TPU. We've seen second hand here at TPU what can happen to a perfectly good looking board that goes through ASUS RMA. :(

Again, I highly recommend taking a picture. I know that it's a pain since there are 1155 contacts and only 1 is needed to make it go nuts so I'm with drdeathx here. It sounds like a bad contact with the CPU/Mobo unless there is a problem with the memory slot which I seriously doubt.

10. mgtechus New Member

Thanks Received:

OK I will take a photo today. I had it all apart yesterday and thought about it then.
    Remember this is my 2nd board. The last one did have bent pins.

11. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Stranger things have happened. I've heard of cases where people have had to send motherboards back multiple times before they get a good one, but it is rare. I have a display that has failed on me 4 times, I'm on my 5th monitor just from RMA alone. (Never buy a HannsG or HannSpree monitor btw.)

12. mgtechus New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hear ya, Kinda of wish I went with a ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Intel Series 7 MB.
    Well I got a RMA from Tiger direct just in case I need to exchange the board.
    Now time to take that picture.

13. mgtechus New Member

Thanks Received:
    crap

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  14. mgtechus New Member

Thanks Received:

15. Lyzard New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I finally reseated the CPU and still have the same problem. Completely took my computer apart, cleaned it and rebuilt it. No bent pins on the CPU socket or the DIMM slots. It's still reporting half the RAM after the rebuild. I even tried installing 2 4GB sticks and 2 2GB sticks, 1 of each per channel, and it still reported 6 GB or RAM total.

16. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    back the mounting screws on your cooler off a hair
    could be overtight

drdeathx says thanks.
  17. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    I'm gonna say that you using mixed ram is definitely not helping. look into getting a single matched 16gb kit of memory. they run around $80 at newegg on sale.. memory timings and speeds can do crazy things.

18. mgtechus New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hear ya:mad:

So I sent both MB's off to ASUS and they replaced the 1st one for $120 and the 2nd one for free under warranty. I used the stock Intel processor fan (instead of the Zalmon) and my machine has been stable for 1 week now. I am only over clocking mid range. 32 gig of memory works flawless now. :rockout:
    Now I have a spare board and plan to sell it.

19. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    I forgot, too tight on air cooler can do this too. Good catch