• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS P8Z77-v pro/thunderbolt motherboard, BIOS problem. system wont start

prestoopnik

so I'm building my first system and I got as far as the lights and fans turning on... when I turn the system on the fans and lights turn on(as previously stated) and the BOOT_DEVICE_LED turns on as solid red. As well as a single short beep which the manual says means the VGA is detected, quick boot is set to disable, no keyboard detected.

my specs are:

-ASUS P8Z77-v-pro/thunderbolt motherboard

-cool master haf-x case

-intel core i5-3570

-MSI geforce 660 ti PE

-cool master Silent Pro M 1000W

-G.Skill trident X series 16gb(2x8gb) (placed in slots A2 and B2 as the manual suggested)

-western digital 1TB caviar green

-and i can't figure out exactly what my disc drive is

I've looked up some possible solutions one being that my bios is outdated and doesn't support the chip I have set up in my motherboard. I tried doing a USB BIOS flashback but either it didn't work or I was doing it wrong which is very possible. However a lot of the other people who I saw who were having similar problems had the bios working when i turn my system on nothing comes up on the screen (which I have plugged into the DVI)

On the ASUS website on their support page ( http://www.service.asus.com/#!Downloads/c1wax ) I looked at the BIOS updates and one says that it supports new CPUs. and if it is a new BIOS that I need how would I go about doing so?

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
The boot led will stay on until the BIOS sees a bootable hard drive, which yours isn't, until Windows is installed, so that's normal. The no video issue is caused by bad RAM, incompatable RAM, or possibly even a CPU cooler installed too tight (I had this happen last month!). Or bent pins in the mobo socket - lot of that going around. Have you tried booting with just 1 stick of 2GB or 4GB capacity? That often works, and indicates RAM issues with the 8GB sticks. I'm guessing it won't boot to the Windows install disk either. The BIOS version it shipped with is fine for your CPU. It may be a bad board and have to be RMA'd.

prestoopnik

What do you mean by bootable hdd do i need a replacement one? And i just tried booting it with 1 stick of 4gb ram my brother has and im getting a red light next to my RAM slots. Which the manual says theres a hardware error with the RAM. Also before when this did not happen but i could restart POST with my keyboard and then one time i got the error next to my 8gb sticks of ram. And now it stops there with no beeps

prestoopnik

k... so, i tried with my brothers 4gb stick as i said and that gave me the error light. but then i tried it again with my 8gb stick the light didnt show up and it goes back to the boot_device_led again. also sometimes when i restart POST by pressing CTRL-ALT-DLT i get a beep code that means hardware component failure. but this doesnt happen all the time. if my cpu cooler is on to tightly how would i loosen it?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
k... so, i tried with my brothers 4gb stick as i said and that gave me the error light. but then i tried it again with my 8gb stick the light didnt show up and it goes back to the boot_device_led again. also sometimes when i restart POST by pressing CTRL-ALT-DLT i get a beep code that means hardware component failure. but this doesnt happen all the time. if my cpu cooler is on to tightly how would i loosen it?

If the DRAM_LED, CPU_LED, and VGA_LED aren't lighting up, then it sounds like a hard drive problem. How does the integrated graphics work? Can you take the GeForce out of the picture for testing purposes?

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
You have windows installed?

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
What do you mean by bootable hdd do i need a replacement one? And i just tried booting it with 1 stick of 4gb ram my brother has and im getting a red light next to my RAM slots. Which the manual says theres a hardware error with the RAM. Also before when this did not happen but i could restart POST with my keyboard and then one time i got the error next to my 8gb sticks of ram. And now it stops there with no beeps

I mean a hard drive isn't bootable until there's an operating system installed on it. You said it's a new build, so I assumed a new, empty drive. At this point your best option is to call Asus support, try everything they tell you to try, and start the RMA process to get another board. They will tell you to try booting with just one stick of RAM and one drive, and reset CMOS, and if that doesn't work, remove the board and check the CPU socket for bent pins. If one or more pins are bent they will tell you it's user damage and not under warranty, and offer to replace the socket for a price. If you argue with them, they might just hang up and lose your RMA. That's when you whip out a good pair of tweezers and a very good magnifier, and try to straighten the bent pins. If that fails, you can send it in for repair. I never heard of all the RAM slots being bad at the same time, but I suppose it's possible.