1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus R9 270X DC II TOP 2048 MB

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Oct 2, 2013.

1. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2013
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Razorfang

Thanks Received:
    Are there any plans to add Battlefield 4 to your line-up of benchmarked games?

3. arrow

arrow New Member

Thanks Received:
    plz use this game for benchmark : battlefield 4 - call of duty : ghosts - AC IV - NFS Rival and batman Arkham Origin :)

if you can plz review of MSI R9 270X gaming oc . thanks :toast:

4. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    NFS:Rivals is a crap console port locked at 30FPS so there really is no point benching it (PROOF) and if you hack it to run at above 30FPS the physics go to hell because they're bound to the frame rate.

5. Nortrop

Nortrop

Thanks Received:
    Typical mediocrity and corner-cutting from Asus in the midrange. I like them going crazy with their high-end stuff, but not this. Would it hurt them that much to put a little more effort? There's now vrm cooling, there's no cooling for the ram. How much does a baseplate cost damnit? I can't believe they're still using these little, noisy and useless fans. I remember having them on my 6950 DC2, and they were driving me mad. Also, someone should tell Asus that "direct contact" cooling doesn't work that great with bare dies.

6. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    very soon, not need for sped for the reason mentioned above.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    VRM cooling on six phase design feeding a 140W GPU is pointless it's pushing less than 20A per phase so it really shouldn't get hot and there's a fan almost directly above it. And the sound and temperature test both show that this cooler is running a pointlessly high fan profile but is way cooler and a bit quieter than reference.

8. Nortrop

Nortrop

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you to an extent. But think longevity, think overclocking, not everybody has a perfectly cooled case, some people live in warm climates where it's hot all year round. Not everybody sits in a temperature controlled lab.

I know they do extensive testing, but for being a premium brand it's pretty dull of them to skimp on a couple of dime's worth of aluminum.

The fan profile on the other hand isn't pointlessly high, it's simply what the fans are capable of. They are rubbish and you can see that they're having trouble handling even a power efficient design with a big-ass heatsink like this one, without being noisy. It's simply a compromise that Asus need to stop doing. Take a look at the other manufacturers and you can see that (with little exceptions) everybody has practically nailed it.

9. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    He can ommit COD Ghosts and NFS Rivals. NFS Rivals has this thing that when unlocked to more than 30 fps, everything looks like straight out of a Charlie Chaplin movie.

10. anubis44

anubis44

Thanks Received:
    Current thread name: "Asus R9 270X DC II TOP 3072 MB"

Not to a be a dick or anything, but the card only has 2048GB of memory. Please fix the name of this thread.

11. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    Nice card and good cooler, but i dont like their power pins. It looks kinda easy to break since they use design like that

12. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    it's actually a very good design. much easier to insert and remove.

micropage7 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  13. anubis44

anubis44

Thanks Received:
    W1zzard, thanks so much for the comprehensive line-up of games.

Just one respectful request. Company of Heroes 2 (COH2) is a huge favorite of many RTS gamers. In fact, when my best friend needed to upgrade his machine recently, he asked me what was the best value in a new graphics card (bang for the buck), and he stipulated that he didn't care about benchmarks/performance in any other game but COH2! That stipulation altered my recommendation, and I suggested a Gigabyte Windforce 3 7870, based on his monitor resolution (1920x1080). All I had to go by at the time (back in August, just before the 270X release) was this one single published benchmark: http://www.techspot.com/review/689-company-of-heroes-2-performance/page2.html. However, it would be nice to see how cards perform over time in this game as other friends and family ask for recommendations for this game.

As for the argument that it is significantly CPU-limited, well, you do have Starcraft II in here!

I realize this is not a majority view of gamers, but I was therefore wondering if you could add COH2 to your list of benchmarked programs considering what a major draw it is to PC gaming.

14. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yeah but most place the hook on the other side so they use full pcb and not cutting it to make a place for the hook

15. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    I see no issue with that. I've reviewed almost all recent ASUS cards and I'm always happy to see that connector, because it makes my life easier. There are many cards where heatsinks make it very difficult to remove the power cable, because the heatpipe blocks the plastic tab that you need to press down.

10 Year Member at TPU