1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus R9 290X Direct CUII terrible hashrate 465!!!-HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by antony209494, Feb 22, 2014.

1. antony209494

antony209494

Thanks Received:
    I am new to litecoin mining. I got my new 290X today and the first time I run it with cgminer 3.7.2 I get about 600 Kh/s on 20 intensity. WTF? I should be getting 850-900 with this card.

So I found this thread (please read) :

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1992780/asus-290x-directcu-hash-rate.html

(That last answer is mine after thinking I got it the first time)

I used Stingray454's settings and underclocked the GPU clock at 920 with 1500 memclock by changing the values while mining because my system hanged for some reason when I added the clock settings to the config file. Hashrate went up to 860 that first time. So I thought this worked. But when I tried to do it again the hashrate didn't increase although the clock values changed. Since then my 290X is mining at 465 Kh/s and I can't make it increase no matter what settings I change. It only decreases even more when I lower the intensity or clocks now. I don't know what's happening or what I did to cause this. It's stuck there and won't increase.

UPDATE: Somehow I did it again once. I now know when it's going to work and when not. If I start it and it goes with stock clocks to 600 Kh/s then the trick with lowering the engine and increasing the memclock works. If not and it peaks at 465 then lowering the clocks results in even less hashrate. But it seems to be totally random if it will reach 465 or 600. One moment it works then after a reboot it doesn't without changing any settings.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. broken pixel

broken pixel

Thanks Received:
    What thread-concurrency and intesity level are you usuing?

try 880/1250

3. antony209494

antony209494

Thanks Received:
    Link is now correct. View it and you'll see.

4. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    play with the miner settings, they are probably just bad. too much intensity will give alot of stales. your memory clock is prob too high, producing errors and reducing your hasrate bigtime.

5. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Or do what's right and answer his question without making us read your problems on another forum

6. broken pixel

broken pixel

Thanks Received:
    I dislike Toms Hardware, mucho spam adds on that site.

Oh well, I was trying to help but since you are being lazy I wish you luck.

GreiverBlade and fullinfusion say thanks.
  7. antony209494

antony209494

Thanks Received:
    WTF is wrong with you??!?! As if I made you read a huge thread it's only 6 posts long. I only gave you the link to better understand my problem. I explained everything there is to explain on my original post. As I said I used Stingray454's settings which you would have seen with a simple click are -g 1 -w 512 --thread-concurrency 32765 --gpu-core 920 --gpu-memclock 1500. But as I said in my original post (read the damn UPDATE too) this is not the problem. Problem is that with the same settings sometimes in mines at 400 and sometimes at 850!

8. broken pixel

broken pixel

Thanks Received:
    -w 512 is not supported, I do not know why people use 512 when it defaults to 256.

WTF is wrong with me? You asked for help, I asked you a simple question and you link to TH forums, lulz!

Sounds to me you do not know what you are doing. Hahahaha, troll over to Bitcointalk forums in the Alt section. I am sure you will find some sets that work.

15th Warlock says thanks.
  9. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    Good idea. Acting like an ass will surely make people want to help you out.

10. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    reading skillz are overrated, obviously

11. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    Writing skills must be overrated as well.

Yeah. I try to stay away but google likes to put their threads at the top of a lot of my searches. Usually I just end up reading a bunch of wrong information there.

12. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    reminds me on how people acts at toms (by reading it)

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    I also have the same card, I'm a thread concurrency of 32765 -w 256 -I 20 and get usually 850-850 KH/s

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. antony209494

antony209494

Thanks Received:
    Apparently people here go ape shit when you give a link to another forum. Fine....
    Can anyone now actually try to help? I don't want you to suggest settings but explain why with the same settings sometimes in mines at 400 and sometimes at 850.

15. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    Instability in card, instability in drivers, bad settings, PEBCAK.

Pick and choose, I know what my money is on.

Edited out my dickishness. I suspect as erocker does that there may be a hardware problem.

16. antony209494

antony209494

Thanks Received:
    You know what, never mind! I don't know what it is with you people and Tom's but you are obviously not willing to help if you go around making insults. I don't want your help! Have a nice day!

Solaris17 and FX-GMC say thanks.
  17. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Intensity 20 is too high, better let this be 13ish since this will save the card's long term life and also actually be more profitable (better hashrate per watt ratio); the thread-concurrency better be autodetected.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    I dont know shit about mining but a fellow that bought both my 7970's told me a thing or two. It takes time to dial in the gpu. They all react different so its up to you to fine tune. Also imo I think Amd's power tune is your problem. Just an idea but mabey look around for a bios that dont have the pt feature and see how it works.

And try and be a bit nicer to the peeps here. There is alot of good guys n gals here but when it comes to bc mining alot of us frown upon it as it has fucked amd card prices big time. And I wish you luck and the ability to make some extra cash but if you ask me and others bc is going to fall flat soon once obama steps up and starts demanding certian guide lines but like I said its just my opinion.

19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking you might have a bad card. Mining isn't working, gaming isn't working, yet it worked with your old cards.

Solaris17 says thanks.
  20. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    You also might try litecointalk.org. People tend to be more helpful with scrypt settings over there.

And I'm sorry guys, I don't mean to be rude, but what exactly did this guy do to deserve that kind of response? Linking an outside forum? Seriously? That's a really lame excuse to bite someones head off (not saying he didn't too, but it was after you guys).

antony209494 and Chevalr1c say thanks.
  21. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I put it in a spoiler so as not to clutter the thread:
    The way I see it (and I think everyone else sees it), if you have an issue and are looking for help, you create a thread with all relevant details, specs, info. You don't put a link to another forum and tell people to read that instead. If it wasn't much info on the other forum to read through, then the OP could have (and should have) copy/pasted it right here, and there would have been no issues.

When the first guy who was trying to help asked a questions, he was told:
    Not cool.

And when people mentioned that's not the way to do things, his response was:
    That's what the guy did to deserve the responses he got.

Regardless, OP handled it incorrectly, and it seems he's gone; so much the better.

night.fox, GreiverBlade, Arjai and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    Meh, I know you are right and all, but the response is still somewhat over the top IMO.

23. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    My thoughts exactly. All thos over a link? Granted toms hardware imo is totally a useless site. Any time I get stumped and google for a fix I get toms hardware (solved) and I have never in 5 yrs have found anything solved. Anyways to the op, what driver are you using? I have a 290 and used the 14.1 beta and it just fucked with all my benches scores.. laggs and just a horrible driver. It was the same with my 7970 but ising the latest certified amd driver everything worked better then expected.

24. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    Not because of a link, because of the attitude. Most of us here offer FREE advice. If anyone wants help and to be treated with respect they need to do the same. /rant

25. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    This is the flag that set me to thinking....wha?

Chevalr1c and fullinfusion say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU