1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus R9 290X Direct CUII terrible hashrate 465!!!-HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by antony209494, Feb 22, 2014.

1. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Yeas I agree and was sitting in the car when I came across this thread. To me he was im panic mode lol. But I also agree his tone was not called for.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Keep on topic gents.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  3. broken pixel

broken pixel

Thanks Received:
    Go to the power settings check to see if you have the pcie link state power managment turned off, also set the monitor to never turn off, do it manually. And also disable all sleep and hybernation settings.

Also if you are usuing the computer while you are mining at a high intensity it will lower the hash rate.

When I am mining at -I 19 or 20 and I open my browser my hash rate will drop by a good amount.

Take the clock settings out of the batch file and use afterburner to OC and set a fan profile. Disable ULPS add +10 or +20 power.

Always make sure to delete the BIN file cgminer creates after you make any changes.

Sometimes the cgminer files get corrupt it seems after a number of cgminer crashes, etc. I just delete them all and use a fresh copy.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  4. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    make sure your power options arent messed up. I think your card is broken since you game at low FPS too. you said you OC honestly my intensity was 14 you cant just copy and paste settings. Ill try to answer your question (ill make it nice and simple)
    Your card is BAD
    Your power settings are ENABLED (link state/ power lmit/ amd overdrive) these need to be DISABLED
    Your OC is BAD
    Your mining settings are WRONG

For clarification I have also included this list in the order in which you should troubleshoot.

1. Your power settings are ENABLED (link state/ power lmit/ amd overdrive) these need to be DISABLED (Check these and try hashing again)

2. Your OC is BAD (After power settings are checked if hashing is still off back the card to defaults)

3. Your mining settings are WRONG (If your power settings are off your clocks are at default and your hash rate is still all over your settings are not tuned right.)

4. Your card is BAD (If you have done all of the above (which will take several days) and your hash rate is still all over and your games still play at 40fps your card is fucked, "good night sweet prince and may flights of angels sing thee to thy rest)
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    Chevalr1c and FX-GMC say thanks.
  5. mahad3va New Member

Thanks Received:

Hi. I first got this card too, due to being a beginner and thinking that "the best is R9 290X, the most expensive is R9 290X, so it MUST be the best at hashrating".
    In time I learned not only that it was not true, but also I learned a lot about video cards, thread concurrency, gpu, memory, rigs etc

So here is my experience:
    MOBO: MSI 990FXA-GD65 Socket AM3+ ...... 143 USD
    Processor: AMD FX-8320 3.5 GHz 8-core Socket AM3+ Box .... 197 USD
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB Kit 2x4GB DDR3 1866MHz CL9 ..... 118 USD
    Power: Raidmax Thunder Pro RX-850AE 850W .... 156 USD
    Video Card: Asus AMD Radeon R9 290X OC 4GB DDR5 512Bit DirectCU II ..... 795 USD
    HDD SATA: Kingston 64GB ..... 70 USD

A total amount of 1,479 USD.

I also got Battlefield 4 and cool shiny metal pointy thingies to stick on the card (red or yellow) to be assorted to the MOBO. But who the F got time to play? :laugh:

So I was thinking this is a good start for a RIG, planning to extend it by adding Video Cards and power sources. The MOBO was specifically selected for its' availability of PCI-Express slots: 2 x 16x, 4 x 1x.

My first power-on experience was extathic, but my first cgminer experience was disappointing.

As you say, the card couldn't hash more than 500kh/s under no (default) circumstance. Through many many trials and errors, lockups and reboots, I have somehow managed to reach a stable 880kh/s.
    This is still disappointing as I thought this card will do much better (somehow I thought that based on some Internet hardware recommendations, this card would reach at least 1.2Mh/s).
    At the time I got this card, the state-of-the-art card was the dual-gpu HD7990, said to be the only one to break the 1Mh/s barrier.

I tried with the default shaders, then OC'd the memory, the GPU, raised the thread concurrency, tried different values of intensity.
    Nothing worked in the upward overclocking, so, while going as high as possible on the MemClock, I actually underclocked the GPU for a better hashrate!

I'm using bfgminer-3.1.4, and my settings are:

setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    .\bfgminer-3.1.4-win64\bfgminer.exe --scrypt -o MY_WALLET_IP -u user -p pass --gpu-engine 920 --gpu-memclock 1500 --thread-concurrency 33810 --lookup-gap 2 --gpu-powertune 20 -w 256 -g 1 --intensity 20 --gpu-threads 1 --auto-fan --temp-target 77 --temp-overheat 80 --log 5

This is my config for a Scrypt stable hashrate of 880kh/s, and around 340kh/s hashrate on N-Scrypt (like Vertcoin), with a 75C temperature and 43% cooler fan.
    Any value over 920Mhz on the GPU locks the system, as well as any higher MemClock, TC or GT.

An important notice is that all this "rig" consumes 330W constantly, measured on the killawatt.

If there is anyone out here who manages to get a higher hashrate on this card, will be praised for eternity.

After this, I got a second video card, an == Asus Radeon R9 290 OC 4GB DDR5 512Bit DirectCU II == without the 'X' as you noticed, for 562 USD. That's like 30% cheaper!!!

My surprise is that for the same settings but different only in GPU Clock (I use 1000Mhz for this card), I get a stable 900kh/s !! More juice for 30% off the price!!!
    I was outraged, especially because I cannot return the first card because the return period has passed.

After adding this card, my rig goes up to a stable 1.76Mh/s, so I'm planning to get more cards and power supplies.
    Very important too here is the consumed power: 800W constantly (killawatt)
    Unfortunately another effect came to life here. Because of the small space between the two cards, the prior (290X) now heats up more, so in order to keep a 75C constant temperature, I had to lift up the cooler fan to 70%, so that means more consumed power.

One more thing I must say why I prefer these ASUS cards, it's because of the fans. They really are quiet! Only on high temperatures over 90C they will go up to 80-100% and make some noise, but under normal usage (up to 45%) they are barely making themselves heard!

Also I prefer the 290 (without the X!!) because of the price + hash rate + consumed power.

I will test some more but nowadays I'm busy building the chassis of the rig myself :D

PS: Did anyone try out the new R9 295X2?
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
  6. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    Donation's? Are you serious?

Mining that bad one has to pan handle on tpu or did I miss something.
    How the hell do I stop getting notifications from this thread... Oh nvm found it :)
    Arjai says thanks.
  7. mahad3va New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dude... you're not helping ;)

Sorry for the 'donation' sector, I'm new and excited for every coin. It shall pass, give me time ;)
  8. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    No don't get me wrong dude. It just blew my mind seeing a donation post. Forgive my ignorance but its like me being a part time cruncher and asking for money to do it. I do it when tpu has a challenge for a week and money is tight for a lot of us but I don't ask for anything in return. I do it to help the team that's all oh and besides its for a greater cause.

There be ppl here that mime but they do it on there own and don't flaunt it here as a lot of us are against what mining has done to gpu prices... I know it has left a real bitter taste in my mouth.

We are here asking and giving help and this has been a 1st for me seeing a person ask for donations for info that what I was getting at and I wish you all the best doing what your doing and I don't condone excitement, I encourage it so please take what I said with a pinch of salt ok and good luck in your mining. I just hope you get to enjoy the money you make before the big hammer comes down from the man.
    15th Warlock, Arjai and mahad3va say thanks.