1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus Radeon 5850 BIOS Flash Error

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Sam7, May 23, 2010.

1. Sam7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

I have an Asus EAH5850 (EAH58502DIS1GD5) with its standard BIOS. I'm trying to change the BIOS fan speed settings, as it spins too slow and it is very hot where I live.

If I run GPU-Z v0.4.3 it gives the correct data for my card, but when I try to save the existing BIOS, GPU-Z refuses and says "BIOS reading not supported on this device".

So I boot into native DOS and save the BIOS with atiflash.exe (v3.79). Now I have the existing BIOS ROM file (128KB in size). I noted the checksum in DOS.

I load the BIOS file into Radeon BIOS Editor (v1.25) and it's all OK, it's the correct data and has the same BIOS checksum. I make the fan speed changes and save the BIOS to file NewBios.ROM.

I boot to native DOS and check the BIOS checksum of NewBios.ROM and it matches the original checksum.

Now when I try to flash it in native DOS (atiflash -p 0 newbios.rom) (or atiflash -f -p 0 newbios.rom), atiflash makes a comparison between the two cards (everything matches), but then it gives the following error and nothing is flashed: "ERROR 0F01".

Anyone has any idea why it does this. I did a search but could not find a solution.

Thanks a lot

System details (all stock, no overclocking):
    Intel i5 750
    Gigabyte P55A-UD3P
    PSU Corsair TX750 750watt
    RAM 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR1600
    Asus ATI Radeon HD5850

PS: I do not want to flash from within Windows as that is apparently not advisable for cards with GDDR5 memory.

PPS: I read the sticky on Flashing the 4870 and that is the same method I used.

2. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand .... you can't the fan speeds by using CCC?

3. Sam7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm very new to ATI but AFAIK you cannot regulate the fan speeds linearly via CCC, it can only be set to a single static fan speed. Or did I miss something?

What I want is for the fan speed to increase gradually as the card gets hotter (in games), else it can easily hover around 80C, which for me is too hot :) And that is why I want to alter the BIOS.

Thx

4. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just set your fan speed in CCC to 45% and you Will be fine its not too loud...

5. mav2000

mav2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Either you can leave it as auto or change it manually to a single fan speed from CCC. If you want to change the fan speeds at various degrees heat then you have to change the fan profile in the bios and re flash the card.

6. Sam7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Is there anyone who can perhaps shed some light on the cause of the problem I explained in my original post?

Thx

7. commission3r

commission3r

Thanks Received:
    i could be wrong but is the extension not .bin and not .rom?
    ive flashed my powercolor 5850 with asus bios for the extra headroom when ocing and its working great 875/1300 fan in ccc @ 36% when gaming when im not gaming let the bios control it normally @ 21%
    i think u shud get hands on with your card insted of trying 4 a ez fix
    mayb that error was a good thing wut if it went through and u had a £250 brick?

8. Rik55

Rik55 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like you have a locked flash rom.

atiflash -unlockrom 0

But 80c is a good temp for the 5850. Do you have any crashes or artifacts at full load.

Last edited: May 24, 2010