1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus Radeon 9800 Pro Overclocking

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Johnboat, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Johnboat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the Asus Radeon 9800 Pro with 256mb ram and I love the card very much, however since EverQuest 2 came out I feel the need for a little more speed. I currently have it overclocked to 411mhz and 360mhz memory. I've read before that people have overclocked Radeon 9800 Pros as fast as 460mhz core. Anyway how much faster can the 9800 Pro go?
  2. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Depends on your card, some don't OC at all, some go much further, it's all about luck

Did you let Atitool find out yet?
  3. Johnboat New Member

Thanks Received:
    No but I just read that my card is the best one to have to flash the bios to an 9800XT
  4. Johnboat New Member

Thanks Received:
    How long does it take to find max mem and core? It's been running on my system almost an hour now and it's not finished yet
  5. Johnboat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok the ATI Tool finally finished. The thing is, I did flash my Radeon 9800 Pro to an XT and it worked fine, but then I ran ATI Tool and I did fine max mem/ core and it accually took my speeds back down to just above Radeon 9800 Pro speeds. What is up with that?
  6. C&C Freak 2K New Member

Thanks Received:
    Obviously your core was built in such a way that it doesn't overclock as fast. It's also obvious that you jumped the gun and didn't actually test to see if your card would take the XT speeds, although it could be damaged pipes giving artifacts to ATITool.
  7. Johnboat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did check it out and I didn't jump the gun. I read a whole article about doing it before I did it.
  8. Schpeedy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but you didn't check the overclocked speeds with ati tool before your flashed it. The reason ati tool is bringing it back is because your card isn't capable of those speeds with its current design and is artifacting either the memory or the core and ati tool is bringing it back to the speeds in which it should run to be 100% stable. Just remember that flashing it as a 9800XT actually has no advantages over having it as a 9800pro just has faster stock memory and core speeds.
  9. murphy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Asus 9800 pro original BIOS

Ok... so I'm a noob! I flashed my Asus 9800 Pro to an XT and didn't save the orignal BIOS - thought I did - but can't find it anywhere.

I ran ATITool and found that I jumped the gun with the XT flash. Now I'd like to put it back to PRO and just try to OC it. I understand that there is no difference between PRO/XT other than clock speeds right? No difference in the number of shader pipes?

I tried the BIOS from the archive (for hynix memory), but I get freezes (showing an empty blue screen) every hour of game play or so.

The card ran great as an XT - no freezes, (but artifacts in some CS:S maps), so I don't think anything is hosed.

Anyone out there still have the original Asus 9800 pro BIOS they can copy for me?
  10. Mad-Matt New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well there are a few asus 9800 pro bioses on this very site. look in the atibioscollection section.
  11. murphy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Read post.

I did try one of the two posted on this site... The one associated with my card's memory.

I was hesitant to try the one for an unknown memory type.
  12. Schpeedy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Murphy.... simply get the XT bios you used from this bios collection, use Rabit and change the clock speeds and reflash it ontop of itself. That will fix the atifact problem... and by change i mean reduce. so something like 400/350 or whatever.
  13. murphy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good idea

One more question then, if I may...

Only when running CS:S in certain high resolutions (above 1600x1200) I would get checkerboard patterns. If this was because of clock rates, then your suggestion will work fine. But if it was because of additional shaders been "opened" by the flash, then the problem will persist.

So, does flashing a 9800 Pro to an XT ONLY adjust the clock rates, or does it enable other functionality (beside the temp monitor and fan control) that may not be fully functional on my card?

I've heard with some GPUs that cores that have bad piplines or other malcunftions simply get put on scaled down versions of the card. I'm trying to figure out exactly what I'm doing by flashing to an XT.

Thanks