1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 Motherboard in Pretty Pixels

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Sep 30, 2008.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    After yesterday's ASUS P6T Deluxe quick introduction, today is time for the heavy artilery to come by and stop at our front door. For sure ASUS, one of the biggest brands in the computer industry is not going to have only one or two motherboards to support Nehalem. Although the platform is not yet officially introduced, ASUS is ready with its Rampage II Extreme motherboard. As the name suggests this will be the enthusiast range of motherboard offerings support for LGA 1366 processors, triple-channel DDR3 memory and up to three PCI-Express x16 graphics cards. The new Republic of Gamers machinery might not have a fancy heat pipe cooling (it might not need one) but it has a few other tricks, such as a special VTT CPU power card that provides a 16-phase CPU and 3-phase memory power design. The board also features a number of strange buttons that will help experts overclock their hardware. The Rampage II Extreme also has six SATA 3.0 Gbps connectors, dual Gigabit Ethernets, FireWire, eSATA ports and most likely support for both ATI CrossFire X and NVIDIA triple SLI technology. Let the pictures finish this post:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Source: Muropaketti - Plaza
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Those look like voltage read points in front of the buttons. If so, that is a sweet feature to have for hardcore tweakers.
  3. Jansku07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    According to the original article the price will be about 400 euros. Thats A LOT. :eek:
  4. Lu(ky

Thanks Received:
    Mongo want that board, Mongo hungry for speed.. :laugh:
  5. CStylen

CStylen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now I'm officially angry I bought the Rampage Extreme lol. I thought it would be at least a year before the RE II would be out or even hear anything about it...at least I enjoyed 2 weeks.
  6. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Crapass!

>.<

Why can't the blue bits be red!

>.<

Aesthetics aside, this board seems to offer some fantastic features such as support for either Crossfire or SLi, the on-board power/rest et al buttons. If this board out-performs the other X58 based boards then I think I have a winner, even if it doesn't match my initial colour scheme.

Once the numbers have come in (HURRY IT UP DAMNIT!) and the boards have had time to mature, this could be the board to compare others to.

MUHAHAHAHA!
  7. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    hmm les see.. a chipset designed for a new architecture.. an immature bios.. an overpriced PCB.. Popcorn mode for me.
  8. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    That's it! See, I've never been an early adopter as it makes common sense not to jump on the bandwagon unless it's a damn solid product on lunch, which rarely happens and even if I wanted to, I couldn't as I've always been poor.
  9. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    WTF.... we have got used to seeing flashy boards from asus and finally began to like them and now they go back to what amounts to a stock intel cooling system? wheres the fancy ROG heatpipes and such? please tell me this is just a prototype and the final board will look better than this.
  10. Octavean

Thanks Received:
    Yesssss

Me preciousssss

We Wantsssss it!

***edit***

What is that small raised daughter board for between the I/O and chipset heat sink for? You know just above the first (black) PCIe X1 slot?
  11. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    Malware stated...
    ... hope that answers your question.
  12. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That board is a prototype without the cooling system the actual board whould ship with. This is usually how they allow their boards to be pictured way before release. IIRC MSI and Gigabyte both had the earliest pics of their 1337 boards taken without the groovy cooling. Look at the naked southbridge with TIM on it. Does it tell you something?
  13. Octavean

Thanks Received:
    I guess it does thanks.

The ASUS P6T Deluxe has 16 + 2 Phase power (I think) but no such power card. I’m wondering what the real world benefits of having it would be with respect to not having it.
  14. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    looks good :)
  15. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    that is sick :D
    i want!!!
  16. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Very impressive i would see if Zalman, CoolerMaster, Schyte, Noctua and Thermalright are ready with new 1366 CPU Coolers.
  17. X1REME

X1REME New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed it looks nice and the earlier model was good too (feature wise), but i think we need to wait and see what's so different about this one compared to the earlier one (minus i7 cpu, mem etc) for e.g. BIOS which is the most important in my opinion and not the flashy push buttons that you see and the price someone mentioned is crazy for the couple of easy push buttons feature. although it does look as if it has a voltage increase and decrease button, which would be cool if true depending on which I/O or component its for (more voltage buttons would be nice). I suppose we need to see some excellent motherboards before we commit to the bigger picture Bcoz other components will also be near the same as the motherboard in price wise.

price is the biggest factor for me as i just built 2 systems not soo long ago, especially with an uncertain future.

as someone said never be among the first adopters as they usually improve upon the motherboard/components/price/bios within a month or so.
  18. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    I want this...with heatpipes that look like a rollercoaster. Then I will buy it.
  19. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heatpipes like a rollercoaster = poor engineerng >_>...
  20. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    agree
  21. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    +1
  22. Duffman

Duffman New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's gotta be. You can see there isn't even a cooler in the SB and the Thermal paste is there as if it had just been removed.
  23. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    +1 :rockout:
  24. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    What? isnt that like $750? If so that is completely insane! :shadedshu
  25. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    Nah man, it's more like $550 I would have thought. Still a lot of money.