• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus Rma

Processor Phenom II X4 B50 @ 3.4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA MA790XT-UD4P
Cooling Vendetta 2, several case fans
Memory 8GB Geil Ripjaws 1666Mhz
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5850 1GB
Storage 1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) LG 23" W2361V TFT Widescreen
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply Antec HCG 750W
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Hi, I bought an asus p5b-e plus from OCUK's b-grade a while ago. It was for my friends computer, which was finished about three weeks after I bought the motherboard. All was working fine but I had to put it in the corner for a few days while I waited for my friend to give me his floppy drive (so I could flash the bios) - all that info is in this thread.

Two days later I got the floppy drive and it wouldn't turn on. So as suggested by somebody in that thread i did a complete rebuild and it still didn't work. I then tested each component in another computer and they worked fine, so I concluded that the motherboard was borked. I then contacted OCUK and as I suspected "b grade items only have a 14 day warrant, f*ck off" was pretty much the resonse I got.

Of course then i contacted ASUS and now I have to BUY and RMA to them, isn't that rediculous? It will cost me £16, and the board is only really worth twice that. I haven't done any extensive testing, so if it turns out that it isn't faulty then I will have wasted all of that. This is the email resonse I got.

Dear Nick,
Thank you for contacting ASUS.

This is Echo and I will be assisting you with the issue you have posted.

As you mentioned, please go to this URL where UK RMA customer needs to go in order to apply for an RMA:
http://www.creativecomputing.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=338&osCsid=7048c42bec11aa79570ff07f74292f9b
The £16 fee is for shipping and insurance costs, the customer doesn't have to pay anything toward the repair of the item but we do ask that they pay the shipping to the repair centre and we pay for shipping it back. the reason for this is as the standard procedure is to go back to your place of purchase and they will RMA through the distributor so the customer doesn't need to pay for shipping, however if they deal with ASUS directly they will need to pay the £16 shipping fee.

Sorry for any inconvenience brings to you.
Thanks a lot for your kindly understanding and support!

I look forward for your response with all the details to assist you.

Yours sincerely,

Echo_Zhang

ASUS Customer Service Center

[Problem Description]
Bought from OCUK's b grade section but couldn't test for a month, found out it didn't
work. I tested each component on another computer and they all worked fine, so I
thought it must be the motherboard at fault. I then contacted OCUK and they said they
only covered the motherboard for 14 days and to contact ASUS directly as the
remainder of the 3 year warranty is with you. I'm wondering if I can get an RMA for this.

So basically i'm wondering what to do. Buy a £16 RMA to them or try and sell it as faulty and make maybe £10?