1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Showcases Bamboo Products at CeBIT 2008

Discussion in 'News' started by Jimmy 2004, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The huge numbers of visitors present at ASUS' booth during CeBIT 2008 were treated to a dazzling display of innovative technology that included the ever-popular Eee PC, the ASUS-Lamborghini PDA handphone, and the exclusive EPU energy saving technology in the motherboard range. In addition to these new product lineups, ASUS has also included new concept products at this year's CeBIT 2008 exhibition. A leading company in the new digital era, ASUS has brought forth a new concept line that focuses on alternative material design aimed at helping save the earth. ASUS is committed to green computing, and this new lineup of concept products serves to keep users in touch with the future of environmentally friendly technology.

[​IMG]

ASUS Bamboo Concept Series – A Mix of the Old and the New
    ASUS' Bamboo concept series stands for our continuous commitment to bring cutting edge products that are sensational in all senses and forms. In nature, bamboo carries a touch of spiritual warmth with its unique tactile surface and its refreshing fragrance. In the Chinese culture, this unique character symbolizes a serene wisdom that takes the soul through a journey of aesthetic realms. It's this poetic quality of bamboo that the ASUS designers strived to convey in our product designs.

Innovative Use of Alternative Materials
    With limited resources and ever increasing demand, it is vital that everyone – consumers and hardware providers included; strives to protect the environment in every possible way. ASUS' commitment to green computing has resulted in the research of alternative materials in its production of components and products. With such innovative technologies, ASUS has created an image of the future for computing – showcasing environmentally friendly designs for notebooks, LCDs and Mini PCs with bamboo as an alternative material in the manufacturing process.

Technology with the Environment in Mind
    Providing performance that doesn't harm the earth is becoming the common ideal. All of ASUS' notebooks comply with RoHS regulations Directive 2002/95/EC (Restriction of the use of certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment), and utilize substituted materials for various heavy metals to help curb environmental pollution.

Source: ASUS
    hacker111 says thanks.
  2. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Where's the wood grain mouse?
  3. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Get some cherry on that, and match the den of someone house! I think it looks like a good idea to have. Matching more with the RICH!.. J/k about the rich, but a lot of people want their work area to have a Zen type of feel to it.
  4. calvary1980

calvary1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think this is cute, but isn't it easier to recycle plastic and melt it down into pellets for reuse vs. cutting a tree? or how is it beneficial even against other materials like sgcc or aluminum.

- Christine
  5. anticlutch

anticlutch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bamboo is grown quickly and is easily replaced so I can see why Asus went with this design... pretty cool IMO.
  6. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Eh, seems to gimmicky to me now that Ive seen them. Id think Wood would catch fire a hell of a lot easier than plastic :roll:
  7. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    Heck, when it is outdated and you are done with it just plant it in the dirt and grow some new bamboo from it. :p
  8. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    yeah, but how about if someone asks... "Got wood?" then you pick up your lappy and and say "yes I do" :toast:
  9. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    haha i want one just so i can be like my laptop is made of wood whats that plastic shit yours is covered in?
  10. Salvadorian Stuff

Salvadorian Stuff New Member

Thanks Received:
    Be careful with pandas.. lol!!
  11. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    also bamboo is stronger and more resistant to cracking than plastic, all wood based products are, this also makes it stronger, and could make it cheaper, as bamboo trees grow to full size in 5-7 years making it easily replishned and once you have a single bamboo tree its free for more, as the tree keeps making seeds
  12. pentastar111

Thanks Received:
    Wonder what the thermal qualities are like...wood is great at storing heat not releasing it.
  13. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    well this is the first Panda friendly laptop ive seen
  14. burtram

burtram

Thanks Received:
    i like the look of the Essentio 5110, lil bamboo box. hehe
  15. Fhgwghads

Fhgwghads New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks cool, I'm glad the computer industry is finally appealed to us in the surfer/gamer market.I really want one now.
  16. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm really not a fan of how it looks. It reminds me of cheap products in the 80s. Everything was beige back then.
  17. powerwolf New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gnarly, dude. :cool:
  18. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    Didn't someone release a Bamboo laptop last year? I remember commenting on it last year.
  19. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i think ur right js i assume everything would be ok with bamboo and gettin hot lappys are really bad for that.
  20. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bamboo isnt really much of an insulator. Its generally tougher than normal wood, and yes, much less likely to catch fire.
  21. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ASUS's Bamboo laptop did get leaked last year - I haven't seen the other products before though, and AFAIK this is the first official confirmation from ASUS.
  22. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not good fire-proofing. A damaged/leaked battery can set the whole unit ablaze if the body is made of bamboo alone with no internal plastic/metal shell. Else we'd assume ASUS is using bamboo just for exterior decoration and not fabrication.
  23. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    In addition to being very fast-growing, bamboo is traps/converts a very high proportion of carbon compared to other plants. I'm so sick of all the plastic crap everywhere, this is a great idea so long as it don't have an absurd price premium.
  24. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Dont think theyd be cheap then again neither was mine when i bought it.