1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS SupremeFX X-Fi vs. Audigy 2 vs. X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB, opinion please?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jstn7477, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Hey everybody,

I got my ASUS Crosshair III Formula in mid-August, and it came with the SupremeFX X-Fi audio riser card (it's a SoundMAX chip, but licensed by Creative to do the usual X-Fi functions, which I can't currently do because the software that came with the drivers doesn't support Windows 7). I have a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 (SB0240) from 2002-ish and I also have a USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 (SB1090) from 2008. Any thought on which is best for audio and games?

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    the current one you have I imagine I always heard the supremefx card was really good to have especially if it comes with your motherboard, if your looking to use your audigy2 or the usb thing I'd go with the usb x-fi? just cause it says x-fi I personally dont like usb sound cards so I would plug the audigy in.

im not much help,but maybe you should see what you can get drivers for and decide based on that and see if you would rather open your pc(internal) or not(usb)

Jstn7477 says thanks.
  3. IINexusII

IINexusII

Thanks Received:
    keep the supremeFX, im sure it would work on win7 if you install in compatibility mode, my asus AI suite worked that way

Jstn7477 says thanks.
  4. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    When I installed the drivers for the ASUS card, they installed fine. The software that ADI released gives me an error every bootup along the lines of "This software was not intended for this OS", so I can't use the Creative add-ons that are supposed to be the key feature of the card. As for the USB Surround 5.1, it does have a real Creative processor in it, and I think it can handle up to EAX 4.0.

5. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Right now Asus does have Win 7 drivers for the SupremeFX audio card but before they had that I just used the Vista 64 drivers without issues. In my experience between the SupremeFX, Audigy LS, and Audigy LS modded to the X-fi xtreme audio; I would have to say the SupremeFX is the best.

Jstn7477 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Any chance you can point me to what motherboard you found them with? When I got the new BIOS for my Crosshair III Formula, they just had the old driver from February 2009. TIA. :)

7. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
  8. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Damn you!!! You made me reset my Pandora:laugh: J/K.

Go here and click DOWNLOAD. Now select Win7 or Win 7 64 and select audio. Download, extract, install, and you should be all set.

Jstn7477 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I'm downloading them now. ASUS quietly sneaked in a new driver on my board's support page a few days ago. Thanks everybody for your help. :)

10. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I would honestly keep the ftp site on hand cause the actual url site is always WAY behind the ftp site.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    The Bloodrage GTI also came with a similar X-Fi card, they are an excellent way to go.

12. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Alright, i'm currently baking the drivers into my hard drive. I'll let you guys know how they work out for me. Again, thanks. :)

13. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Damn straight. It is just sad to know this is pretty much the last of the ADI audio chips we will see:cry: For onboard they have always been so much better than Realtek when it comes to clarity.

MKmods says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Edito

Edito

Thanks Received:
    im using the supreme FX X-Fi that came with my Maximus II Formula and its amazing and the drivers that came with the board didn't work with windows 7 x64 but i have made a research i found out that the Asus Gene II drivers work well just download the drivers of the Gene II and the supreme fx X-Fi will work just fine...

15. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I know this is a dumb thing to use as criteria but while I really like the Realtek 889 chipset sound the realtek control panel seems like its 20 years old.(just looks like shit)

the one asus has with their Xonar cards is so beautiful to look at(sounds great too)

kenkickr says thanks.
  16. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    OH YEAH!! Totally agree with you. I wish there was a way to get the Asus Xonar audio control panel to work with the SupremeFX. Maybe I'll throw something up in the Asus forums about that.

As an update I noticed at work the newer Asus boards are coming with Via HD audio chipsets. That's just sad!

MKmods says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    Question, does the SupremeFX card you have have support for dolby digital live or DTS:Connect like the Audigy 2 and real X-Fi do? If so, that may sway my decision to make the Crosshair III my next board.

18. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I believe Dolby Digital but that's it. The SupremeFX is a X-fi software driven audio chip since it's actually a ADI audio chipset with the X-fi software on top of it. It's not bad at all compared to onboard audio and the Xtreme Audio but throw in some hardware based cards and it gets it's ass handed to it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    From what I understand after installing the drivers, you don't have any control over the SB enhancements except for disabling them with a tick box in the sound properties window?

20. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Have you installed the X-fi utility? Go to the same site I posted earlier but instead of going to "Audio" your going to go to "Utility". Download, install, and activate. You should be good to go from there.

MKmods says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    The X-Fi 5.1 USB is also a software driven solution.

From the three, I'd choose the Audigy 2, because it will accelerate all EAX 4.0 (and equivalent OpenAL) through hardware.
    Moreover, the DAC quality should also be better than the rest.

However, the driver quality should be a bit better with the other two.

Between the SupremeFX and the USB 5.1, I'd choose the USB one, without a doubt.
    I have one and the included volume button really comes in handy.

22. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Heheh I love my Audigy 2zs, you couldn't pay me enough for it for a gaming rig...

The support for it is amazing, the SQ from really a gaming card is insane, especially after some minor modifications. Few driver hacks you can even use the EMU drivers and use it with high end audio production software.

23. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I just see Dolby Digital and DTS Audio, but the card does support up to 192,000Hz sampling rate. My old Toshiba X205-SLi4 laptop had DD Live!, but I just chose 5.1 when I used my 5.1ch CyberHome optical/coax headphones with it.

24. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Damn, it's a 142 MB file. I thought NVIDIA's driver package was huge. I'm downloading it anyway, even if it takes an hour on my college apartment building's 800kb/s per jack ISP.

25. Edito

Edito

Thanks Received:
    Some screens of the supreme fx menus i think it doesn't support DTS i searched the menus and i wasn't able to find nothing related...

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      67.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      63.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG