1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS to Completely Phase Out 8.9-inch Eee PCs in 2009

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Feb 19, 2009.

  1. malware New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2004
    Messages:
    5,476 (1.52/day)
    Thanks Received:
    956
    Location:
    Bulgaria
    According to Benson Lin, president of ASUSTeK's Asia-Pacific division, the company is all set to send away their 8.9-inch Eee PCs. Prompted by the fact that 10-inch siblings and even bigger models are becoming mainstream in 2009, ASUS will phase out its smaller netbooks. Of ASUSTeK's 2009 Eee PC shipments, 10-inch models will account for 95% of total sales, while the other 5% will be 7-inch models for telecom service operators, Lin said.

    Source: DigiTimes
     
  2. gumpty

    gumpty

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2008
    Messages:
    744 (0.32/day)
    Thanks Received:
    134
    Location:
    Auckland
    What the hell? Here I was thinking that 9" was the sweetspot? 7" too small & 10" too big ... at least that's what the missus has been telling me. ;)

    In all seriousness, given that the resolution is the same on the 10" models, 9" is what I was going to get - being smaller and all. I guess it wont's be an Asus then.:ohwell:
     
  3. crazy pyro

    crazy pyro New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2008
    Messages:
    1,662 (0.73/day)
    Thanks Received:
    125
    Location:
    Newcastle
    I tell you now Gumpty, the NC10 with a ten inch monitor is BEAUTIFUL, I've no idea why asus are phasing out the 8.9" versions though, that's just odd.
     
  4. newtekie1

    newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2005
    Messages:
    19,919 (6.18/day)
    Thanks Received:
    6,020
    I think a lot of people were passing up the 9" model because the size difference isn't that big to jump to the 10" model, and the addition of a larger keyboard is nice for a lot of people.
     
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. crazy pyro

    crazy pyro New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2008
    Messages:
    1,662 (0.73/day)
    Thanks Received:
    125
    Location:
    Newcastle
    But the weight increase from the 7" models is negligible and their keyboards are impossible to use.
     
  6. newtekie1

    newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2005
    Messages:
    19,919 (6.18/day)
    Thanks Received:
    6,020
    The weight difference going from the 7" to the 10" is less than a pound, it doesn't really make a difference, the 10" models are still under 3 pounds.
     
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. crazy pyro

    crazy pyro New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2008
    Messages:
    1,662 (0.73/day)
    Thanks Received:
    125
    Location:
    Newcastle
    1.33 kg to be exact, that's a heavy bag of sugar (aka incredibly light). Heck, this one's lighter than any of my textbooks.
     
  8. Urbklr

    Urbklr

    Joined:
    May 16, 2007
    Messages:
    2,346 (0.87/day)
    Thanks Received:
    247
    Location:
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    The reason no one was buying the 9" and under was because Asus doesn't know how to make a usable keyboard for them, 10" is the only one with an okay keyboard. I think 9" is the sweet spot, they are very small, and still have a big enough screen to use with no issues(Also most companies can make a suitable keyboard for them, check out the AAO's keyboard.)
     
  9. cdawall where the hell are my stars

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2006
    Messages:
    20,684 (6.95/day)
    Thanks Received:
    2,984
    Location:
    some AF base
    honestly the best keyboard i have seen so far was the one in the 10.2" HP mini albiet the netbook is bad as far as quality goes the keyboard is great.
     
  10. crazy pyro

    crazy pyro New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2008
    Messages:
    1,662 (0.73/day)
    Thanks Received:
    125
    Location:
    Newcastle
    You tried an NC10, I couldn't test out the dells in a shop so I ended up going for this one, it's lovely.
     

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guest)

Share This Page