1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS to Replace Atom with Celeron in Eee Box to Boost Sales

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Dec 2, 2008.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    ASUSTeK is planning on introducing a Celeron version of the Eee Box desktop replacement PC, as a desparate precaution. The Eee nettop products have not sold as well as expected since their first debut four months ago, and even the well designed Intel Atom processors are to be replaced by Celerons to see if things will go better.
    Source: DigiTimes

2. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Replace Atom with Celeron? A down grade, right? I thought the Atom was supposed to be the better of the two.

3. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    that's wicked lame
    guess i'm not buying one at all now.

4. Icewind31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well... depending on task, the celeron supporting out of order processing is pretty nippy compared to that of the Atom (which is why it has HT to compensate). The performance should be roughly the same despite the clock differential. For a nettop I'd rather wait for an AMD solution or the Via Nano imo. The dual-core Atom looks good however it violates the XP license issue for nettops (single core only)... so in terms of commercial availability with solid performance... XP and Atom230 is the way to go (since you'll have to put Vista or Linux for the Atom330, and once again think about the average consumer buying a nettop to use)

5. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    i think they will go to athelon x2