1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus Triton 75 or 77?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by QWERTZ, Apr 3, 2008.

1. QWERTZ

QWERTZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey everbody!

I have build my first ever PC, and it's working great!

- Antec SOLO, with a 120mm Tri-Cool DBB to be purchased with the new HSF.
    - Corsair HX520
    - MSI P7N SLI Platinum
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
    - 2x1GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 C5
    - 320GB Western Digital WD3200AAKS (Single Platter)
    - MSI 9600GT OC
    - Samsung SH-S203D

Everthing is good except my cooling! The Stock HSF from Intel is even worse than before. It's a low profile Aluminum HSF. I want to get a better one because my temp are kinda high, around 43°C in idle. I spotted the ASUS Triton 77 and the 75. The 77 has 5 Heat-Pipes with a Sunon 92mm fan, and the 75 has 4 Heat-pipes and it can be used with a 120mm. I was thinking to use it with a Scythe Kama PWM. Now both aren't the best models out there, but I'm not looking for extreme performance. So which one is the best? Because they have different designs. The 77 has a up-ward air flow and the 75 a down-ward airflow. I've read some review and the 75 is kinda mixed (FrostyTech said it's not very good, while SilentPCreview said it's good). The 77 is a little cheaper than the 75 with the Fan.

Any thoughts?
  2. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    What are their prices? Are they cheaper than the usual Zalman, Tuniq, or Thermalright solutions?

I've read some reviews of the Asus coolers and it seems their cost to performance ratio is pretty bad. From this HardOCP review of the ASUS Silent Knight, Triton 77, & Silent Square EVO, they state:

QWERTZ says thanks.
  3. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    You will find people that swear up and down that a heatsink/fan setup that blows air downward onto the MB is a horrible idea. The argument is that the fan is blowing hot air back onto the MB and CPU. The fact is that the air being blown down is really not that hot and is very capable of picking up more heat from the MB surface, RAM, VRegs, and NB and carrying it out of your case.

I used the Enzotech ULTRA HSF (which is very similar to the 75) and was extremely pleased with its performance.

With that said, I reccomend the 75 with a 120mm PWM fan. Well... actually I recommend the Enzotech, but since it wasn't in your list then the 75 is the closest thing. ;-)
    QWERTZ says thanks.
  4. QWERTZ

QWERTZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your answers!

Well there is one thing I really need : PMW. I'm not going to do heavy OC, I really would like a silent solution. My budget is mid-range (Around 50FR). If you want to see the prices in my country to understand better (Switzerland) go to : www.1000ordi.ch There is a tab to switch to English.

Anyways around that price range the Triton 75 or 77 are good value. And there aren't many alternatives.

So any last thoughts? 75 with 120mm Kama PWM or 77? The 75 solution has 1 approval from EnergyFX...

Thanks for your help!