1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus unveils special edition X1800XT 512MB

Discussion in 'News' started by Darksaber, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Asus will be offering an overclocked version of the X1800XT which will be running at an insane 675/800 Mhz out of the box instead of the standard speed of 625/750 MHz. It comes with an external 80W powersupply and has an MSRP of 529 Euros.

To do so they need some serious cooling:
    [​IMG]

Source: Hartware.net (german)
  2. zOaib New Member

Thanks Received:
    Holy S**T in a Box !!!! :eek: :rockout:
  3. Tory New Member

Thanks Received:
    That cooling system seems backwards. The origional cooler blew the hot air out the slot, but this "upgraded" cooler blows the hot air into your case. Something is not right there.
  4. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Eh those overclocks aren't spectacular, although I converted that to USD and it's about $12 short of the $630 that the ATI x1800XT is priced at on Newegg. Deffenitely a nice card though.
  5. Pheonix_789

Pheonix_789 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like it may be plagued with poor cooling.... asus once again.......

But decent specs though.
  6. tony929292

tony929292 New Member

Thanks Received:
    actaully cold air entering the the bottom of the case is the right way heat raise to the top ( hot air bollons) thats way the lower front fans in air friendly cases r blowing in and the psu fan and the one below it should blow out
    cold air at buttom makes heat raise so then the top 2 can push the hot air out faster and the case stays cooler so on the card you got cold air hitting the heat sink and it raise to the top to be suck out inside of the card fan blowing all the cold air at the bottom of the case out making the hot air move slower toward the top
    btw i know that this card doesnt get air from the outside but that the way it should be but it also doesnt blow any out
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  7. Pheonix_789

Pheonix_789 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but Phase change is way better than just air cooling and perhaps even having thermo electric semi conductor may offer way better cooling on some sort of cooling system:twitch:
  8. Tory New Member

Thanks Received:
    You completely missed what I was trying to say. If the card would blow the heat out that large blank slot, there would be no heat in the first place to rise up or anything. And the card would still suck cold air from the bottom of the case, just it would be blown out the back of the PC and not into it.
  9. Pheonix_789

Pheonix_789 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I heard what you said and I dont think air cooling is enough but you did have good points:) I would like to experiment with refrigeration cooling
  10. Velocity

Velocity New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow this card looks awsome, even if you sacrafice some cooling, im sure asus has thought about the cooling issues, and stock it will run at normal temps (which is expected) and if your an overclocker it is also expected that your going to chane cooling, but wow it looks nice... i even think it looks hotter than evga's 7800 with the black heatsink. And with the external powersupply this things gonna be a monster.

on a side note ive been looking for the link to where some guy from New Foundland or somwhere oced a x1800xt with liquid nitro to beat 2 7800s in sli, anyone have the link?
  11. tony929292

tony929292 New Member

Thanks Received:
    troy i wrote alot this is what i ment u me or any one does not want air being blown out the bottom of the case like the 6800 ultra does sure it might keep the card cooler but it will effect the rest of the case (hotter) i think they should make the card blow in on nothing at all (we want to keep the cold air in the case as much as possable so the top back fans can push the heat out ) like my sli board the second pci e slot is very lower if a card was in that slot the cold air would enter the bottom front and it would leave the bottom back and the heat would not get push out and u have some small area were u have no air flow and get very hot
  12. tony929292

tony929292 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the x1800 beating the 2 7800 was at this site i went to me email click on the link a at said no thread but i did see that artcil wound why they got rid of it

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  13. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^Tony, what was you trying to say? I didn't understand all of it.
  14. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like the best VGA heatsink yet? I see a heatpipe sticking out the side of that beast.

Wouldnt be too hard to mount a shroud over that to redirect the exhaust out of a slot (that is if the air comes down from that fan)