1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus vs MSI mobos

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by remixedcat, Oct 7, 2012.

?

MSI vs Asus

1. Asus

52.9%
  2. MSI

17.6%
  3. Other

29.4%
  1. Pehla

Pehla

Thanks Received:
    with their big bang mpower series they will become more and more popular!! sooo many techie details on that board!! and for the reasonable price!!
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I've been plenty happy with my P9X79 Deluxe and M4N72-E. My last MSI board was a good one, the only problem was that it said it supported 8Gb when it really meant that it will run 8Gb of DDR2-667, not 800 and it wouldn't even post if you did use 8Gb @ 800, it wouldn't clock them down to 667. I think that was really a limitation of the 975X chipset though
  3. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Asus

I've only had 2 MSI boards, one never booted and the other would overheat the northbridge and freeze up whenever gaming, so I'm not too impressed with MSI. Asus, on the other hand, has never let me down, although they always cost a little more. What price peace of mind? Sure, the Asus software utilities are still buggy, but MSI's are worse. Asus also has the best UEFI hands down. MSI may be cheaper but you get what you pay for.
  4. Aksh_47 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Id rather go for the brand which offers best features in the budget.. and these days Asrock, GIGABYTE seem to be doing that.. ASUS boards are overpriced (at least in my country) and other manufacturers seem to offer much more for the same kind of money.
  5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i guess now back to you, what spec that you need. like how many ram slot, sata ports, usb 3.0, thunderbolt maybe, sli/crossfire ready, uefi etc.
    then how about the products that available in your city, except you plan to buy online
    and what brand that give you better service, since different country would be different too.
    i usually put the brand on next list since big brands usually has wide variety of stuff
  6. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Other than personal unlucky/lucky experiences with brands you won't get a clear answer, some people might have been lucky/unlucky with MSI or ASUS or whatever brand and they might have bought.

What I am trying to tell you is that who told you to look at features vs price has given you the best answer since reliability is something luck based (unless we talk about other brands but that's another story).

If I had to suggest you a brand then it would be high end ASUS (RoG board or PX Deluxes) or high end MSI (Big Bang). I've paid the premium with ASUS quite a few times and I've been rewarded with reliability and performance oh and most importantly: PEACE of MIND.
  7. IamEzio

Thanks Received:
    So in your opinion a high end GIGABYTE board will be a POS and you won't get your peace of mind because there isn't any ASUS/MSI logo on it ?

I had a P4 running on intel Mobo ,then my uncle got HT enabled P4 and he gave me his P4(with was faster then mine) and a Gigabyte board ,i gave him the P4 with the intel board and i know that system still worked until few years ago(probably this board can still work even today) then i gave the P4 with the Gigabyte board to some one and that board still works after more then 8 years i think. Also, the rig i just replaced from 2008 had E8400 on Gigabyte EP45-DS3 board,i still have this rig and it works just fine ..
    The only problem i had with Gigabyte is with my last board the H77-D3H which was DOA(cold boot loop) and the store just replaced it with a new one without any problem.. so now it works without any problem.

The bottom line is that any one can get a faulty board, but that doesn't mean that every board from this brand is a POS , when you look for new parts for your system you shouldn't look only at one brand, but look at various of products and just check for the one then suits you best ,and not the one that have your favorite logo.
  8. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    What if the favorite logo suits you best. I can't say to much as I have smoked all rads boards from Ecs to gb to Asus to msi. I just like the Asus boards I have never liked the bios setup on gb.
  9. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Won't touch Gigabyte with a ten foot pole. ASUS rocks hands down, and MSI gives the best price/performance out of all manufacturers IMO, and they have a solid build quality.
  10. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:

I always purchase the brand that has served me well in the past.

Anyway you are right, I forgot Asrock, they make good and reliable boards lately so I have nothing to say against it.

Gigabyte could very well disappear from the earth and I wouldn't notice, had so many cases of dead VRMs and LAN ports that it couldn't be bad luck.

ECS, well it's ECS.