1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Z9PE-D8-WS Motherboard Up For Pre-Order

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Feb 24, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ASUS' dual-LGA2011 workstation motherboard, the Z9PE-D8-WS, has been listed by Canadian retailer NCIX for pre-order. It is priced at CA $632.98 (US $634.56). The store page does not go on to mention availability, except that orders will be shipped whenever there are inventories. Given its pre-order listing, we expect the product-launch of the Z9PE-D8-WS not to be too far, considering Intel's launch of a large number of "Sandy Bridge-EP" Xeon processors is just around the corner (within Q1, 2012). The Z9PE-D8-WS is designed to support 2P configurations based on Xeon "Sandy Bridge-EP" processors. The motherboard is further detailed here. To PC enthusiasts, it presents a potential alternative to EVGA's SR-X.

[​IMG]

Image Courtesy: VR-Zone
    KieX says thanks.
  2. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Many Thanks to IvTK for the tip.
  3. DualAmdMP New Member

Thanks Received:
    WOW....it looks amazingly designed.

Hope Gigabyte step in soon:)
  4. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    So with 2 cpus, say with 6 cores each, is it basically the same as a 12 core equivalent? I.e. thread count just doubles. Or is there more/less advantages than that?
  5. Flanker

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if there is enough room to stick 2 SBE SilverArrows . That would look amazing
  6. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    Droool do want!
  7. Chaitanya

Thanks Received:
  8. Quantos New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's not much free space on that one! :twitch:
  9. xaira

Thanks Received:
    linus...you must unbox
    Sir B. Fannybottom says thanks.
  10. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    In the real world there basically is no difference. The OS handles both configurations in the same way and nearly no programmer should ever care about assigning tasks to CPU's on this level. The only remotely relevant difference I can think of is memory management. Utilizing NUMA could be relevant in some cases and is different. For us normal users and enthusiasts the only difference is having double the memory controllers > potentially double the amount of DIMMs without requiring registered memory.
  12. blibba

blibba

Thanks Received:
    If there's no overclocking on the DP capable Xeons, as predicted so far, gamers will still be better on P67/Z68.
  13. Dj-ElectriC

Dj-ElectriC

Thanks Received:
    I'm having the weirdest boner right now...
  14. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN

Thanks Received:
    2 Prolimatech Super Megas should fit just fine and they pretty much equal to SA. Layout looks good enough.
  15. DriedFrogPills

DriedFrogPills New Member

Thanks Received:
    also bear in mind that to utilise both sockets you will need to use Xeon not I7's which means 8 cores.
  16. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Will this have any OC features, or is it purely a Workstation board?
  17. DualAmdMP New Member

Thanks Received:

"There are a myriad of options. First, you can change the CPU multiplier all the way to beyond 50, if the CPU supports it - this one didn't, as expected, since all C-stepping Xeon E5 for now have locked multipliers.

Then, you can change the CPU, chipset, QPI, PCIe and memory voltages; force memory to run at higher speeds like 1866 and 2133MHz, and change primary and secondary memory latency timings, with over a dozen settings to control. The latter one worked very well, as I managed to push various kinds of memory well above their designated speeds, and get corresponding bandwidth increases. How does eight channels of memory at DDR3-1600 CL 6-6-6-16 sound, yet at CR1 command rate?"
    KieX says thanks.
  18. Dj-ElectriC

Dj-ElectriC

Thanks Received:
    Just one thing bothers my mind, why aren't the SATA connectors angled...
  19. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    is this htpx? or E-atx?
  20. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN

Thanks Received:
    That is huge motherboard and doesn't fit majority of cases. Very unlikely that any mass produced case is going to have cable holes in right spot/room enough for angled connectors on the edge of the board.

Morgoth: It is HPTX.
  21. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    ^ VR-Zone is reporting it as SSI EEB, and from eyeing the picture, it looks like it.

If so, then plenty of cases available with room for angled connectors. That's where you'd usually find one or two Mini-SAS connectors (angled) on boards like this, so cases are designed for it.
  22. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN

Thanks Received:
    I think you are right, it is SSI EEB. EVGA SR-X is HPTX according to vr-zone. They talked about both boards in same news post a while ago and I remembered wrong.
  23. ypsylon

Thanks Received:
    One look at board will tell anyone with a bit of knowledge that it is SSI EEB. With HPTX space you get horizontal memory banks. With SSI-EEB such placement is not possible - LGA2011s are enormous!

Anyway... for a WS board I consider it pretty average. There is no hardware RAID on board for starters. WS should be treated as WS first and OC toy later. Also anyone who will buy it will be forced into liquid cooling. Top PCI-Ex slot touches mem banks which will be pain when expanding memory, replacing sticks without removing VGA/RAID controller. Hmm... I don't care about X79, as I own X58 systems. But if I had to choose between Asus and EVGA I would pick EVGA's SR-X. I heard support for RAID controllers has been improved on than particular EVGA board (EVGA boards and hardware RAID controllers aren't perfect friends...). There is more space, it offers same [limited] connectivity as Asus-WS board. There is plenty of space between memory banks and expansion slots. HPTX is not an issue as I have compatible case.

The only advantage that Asus hold over EVGA is Intel server class NIC. But if you spend $$$$ on a powerful WS then buying one card with powerful NIC(s) isn't an issue.
  24. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    The ram slots are the normal ASUS type that does not have this problem, as the clips are only on the top-half of the DIMM slot, and the bottom half only requires you push the DIMM in with a bit of force. I personally od not like these "clips", but they do prevent that issue you mentioned..

External RAID control provided by a Marvell controller.