1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Athlon XP 2500+ & 3200+ FSB Issues!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by gimbly, Apr 28, 2013.

1. gimbly New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dear forum,

I have read and reread all threads on the web regarding my issue and can not get an answer to it. I hope some of you guys can help. It's about 2 really old PCs I'm trying to put together for my grandparents.

Here's a sum up: I have 2 mobos - Biostar M7NCD pro & GA - N400 pro - both with latest bios verions
    I also have 2 processors - Athlon 2500+ and an Athlon 3200+ (both Barton cores)
    4 Different dimms of DDR 400 - Adata, Samsung, PQI, Elixir (Timings vary between them but are around 2.5-3-3 Cas 7 i think)
    Power supply Forton 300W real 120mm fan

For some reason I think I can't get my mobo or ram to run at 200Mhz FSB. Why do i think so:
    When i plug my 2500+ at default speeds and fsb 166 it runs. When i OC it it will go as high as 11+185, Vcore 1.7 and stay stable forever. I can get it to fire up as high as 199Mhz FSB, though it will always crash and give me a blue screen while trying to load Windows.
    I can never get it to POST with FSB 200Mhz. Once i put it to 200, regardles of using 11x, 10x multiplier and Vcore as high as 1.80 it will never start. My fans spin, but my screen stays black and i have to reset my CMOS.

I tried switching both motherboards, tried all the DDR rams, which have passed Memtest and i'm only using one 512MB dimm at a time. The CPU won't start.

I also bough a 3200+ Barton from a guy that claims it works and has 100% positive feedback for his sales and is ready to refund me for it not firing up. The thing is I'm not sure the CPU is bad. Since it is also runnigng at 200 FSB by default I'm thinking the same thing that prevents my 2500+ from firing up might be stopping it as well... I also tried running it on both mobos, with all the DDR.... Nothing happens - fans spinning, no picture, no error beep codes.

Could you please tell me if there is anything to make my Systems run at FSB 200 so I can use this 3200+(if it even works). Both mobos have been tested with both processors and should support them out of the box. Could this be a DDR issue... not able to run at these speeds? I'm about to give up... I've been fighting these machines for a week now and I feel lost...

2. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Some motherboards couldn't handle 200 fsb, 166 was default.
    Most I could go was 225 fsb on an epox long ago.

Test at 166 for a while then slowly push it. small increments.

Also those mixed DDR is going to be an issue running 200fsb you usually can do 200 with 2 matched sticks.

3. xkm1948

xkm1948

Thanks Received:
    My old Abit NF7 couldn't go over 166fsb with my 2500+ barton. Later I found out it was due to the nForce2 chip was overheating. The NF7 has a horrible little fan for the NB. I switched it out with a solid copper heatsink along with a small fan and all my problem was solved. I was able to get my old 2500+ to run at 200x10.5 rock solid.

You may want to take a look at your NB temperature. It might be the case.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
    TheLaughingMan says thanks.
  4. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Probably just the chipset overheating. My old K7N2-Delta took quite a bit of finesse to take a 2100+ TB-A up to a 200mhz FSB.