1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ati 10.6 .

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by trickson, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    guitarfreaknation and AudiTuner say thanks.
  2. trickson

Thanks Received:
    OK for those whom think that they are not worth getting THINK AGAIN ! I just got this NEW score in 3dmark 06 Your Score: 18664 3DMarks I was getting this with 10.5 drivers 16654 3DMarks so big jump from them !

3. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Link gives me errors...

Not liking ATi's new download layout :(

4. trickson

Thanks Received:
    HMM work fine for me . I do not know just go to ATI.com and look for them . They ROCK !!!

5. IINexusII

IINexusII

Thanks Received:
    choose a different language then back to english it works

edit: havent tested any games but stright away it has the same problem that the 10.5 had with idle clocks:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    Divide Overflow says thanks.
  6. boulard83

Thanks Received:
    Its kinda sad if they didnt corrected the Idle speed.

7. trickson

Thanks Received:
    I do not see this as a problem . It is not cool to run it full out all the time . you do not take your car out and expect it to run at 6000 RPM all day do you ? then why a video card ?

8. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    works fine for me.

9. boulard83

Thanks Received:
    Lots of peeps have seen the idle going from 157/300 to 400/1200 and volts to 1.062 when upgrading from 1.4 to 1.5. 1.6 seems to have the same issue.

10. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    The reason why you don't see it as a problem is because you don't understand what's going on. Let me explain it for you. Reference design video cards don't have an official heat sink. They only use the cover that comes with the card. That cover is what provides thermal protection for the GPU, mosfets, ram, etc all in one. On one end it works very well as long as the gpu down clocks to 157/300. But on the other hand if you increase 2D clocks you have the potential for thermal throttling and other issues because the GPU along with it's components are no longer being cooled properly like they should IMO.

I have read a few posts where people are having similar problems and it's no surprise to me. I just find it odd that they would use such a rookie fix knowing that those with reference designed video cards don't actually have a heatsink designed to deal with the added heat and added voltage.

Mr McC and trickson say thanks.
  11. trickson

Thanks Received:
    I have them same clocks and every thing is fine . I just do not see the issue is all .

12. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Oh ok . Well I do not see that this is an issue with me . Yeah it would be nice to have the 2D clocks the same as the 3D clocks but meh I am cool with it all .

13. boulard83

Thanks Received:
    ONly HD58 and HD59 seems to be affected

14. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    The only fix is to leave your GPU at stock clocks. Which in hindsight is what this rookie fix is forcing many to do. As long as your GPU/Mem clocks are at stock you will get 157/300 at 2D. This clearly shows me this is intentional rookie fix. They could easily create an option that would allow one to choose which 2D clocks work best for them but getting changes done with CCC is like pulling teeth with them. It took them over 2 years just to get the mediocre profile updates we haven't seen now in about a month.

Also note that if you were able to edit the profile.xml that option no longer works for me. If you have a non-reference design I think you can still make changes via profile.xml but I'm not sure.

15. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the input.

Is this issue the result of a botched attempt to fix poor 2D performance? Did this issue first appear in the 10.5 drivers? What are we saying here, is it better to use 10.4 or should we upgrade and does a non-reference design influence this decision?

Cheers

16. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Initially this was suppose to fix 120Hz displays also a fix for the 5970 which was down clocking to low. But now everyone gets this unneeded feature at the cost of higher thermal load and voltage sitting at desktop. You can see for yourself once you increase the 3D clocks that the 2D ramps up not only in clocks but voltage as well using GPUz.

17. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    no more love for the 4xxx crew :laugh::laugh:

18. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm always at work when these damn drivers come out :mad: I'm suprise no more leaks...

19. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    these better be good, Where's Black Panther.... ;)

20. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    fullinfusion and Mr McC say thanks.
  21. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Part of the reason I purchased these cards was because of the advertized low idle power consumption. This low power usage is only seen @ the 157/300 0.95v clocks.

Now, I have 400/1250, and 1.062v.

Idle temps before this "fix" were around 40c. Now idle temps are around 60c.

Along with that increased power usage, is increased heat, which then in turn, makes the entire system hotter @ idle.

I think you are misunderstanding the problem.

Now, they made this fix for multi-monitor users, and clearly, they didn't fully test these gpus properly, to have to increase clocks to fix 2D issues.

these issues include the "big cursor" and "multi-screen flicker" than many multi-monitor users complain about.

Now, I know it seems like a small issue. However, when you look at the full picture, and put eyefinity into that mix, which was introduced with these cards along with the lower idle power use, we see that this generation of cards was never properly tested with the new features, especially since it's been almost 9 months since launch, and Eyefinity 2D is still broken.

We could also bring up the displayport issues that myself and many others are having too...

All together, this tells me these cards are majorly flawed, and ATi is scrambling to try to fix them, with very little luck. None of the "new" features of this gen works the way it was marketed on release...not one.

Oh, and to top it off, increasing the gpu clocks didn't fix any of the 2D issues either...it merely made them occur less often.

22. Formula350

Formula350 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is actually incorrect. The reason they changed the 2D speeds is due to the performance drop people running multi-monitor have noticed. Also it seems to have fixed an issue for some with Flash content, but that wasn't the intent of the idle speed increase with 10.5 :) I don't even remember what I was searching for that I stumbled on to that bit of info, but it lead me to the AMD Game forums where a user was curious why his idle clocks are 400/1200. I actually miss those speeds, but oh well!

How increasing the clocks as a fix to what you talked about, is a bit confusing to me... If they wanted to fix it, they could just force an increase to the idle fan speed. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are referring to :confused: Either way, doesn't really matter I guess heh

23. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received: