• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

*** ATi 8500 flash bios problem ***

Kato

I got a ATi 8500 64 MB PC version few years ago. I flashed the bios to Mac version for my Mac on few months before. Now, I want flash back the bios to PC version for my PC. I plug the ATi 8500 display card to AGP slot, and I boot up PC with Mainboard display. When I check the adapter ID with ATIFLASH. It show a message said ATi adapter not found. Can anyone help me? Thank you very much :)

My PC config is :-
CPU AMD Athlon 64 2800+ Socket 754
Mainboard Asus K8S-MX
768MB RAM
160G HD
Window XP Professional

Try using flashrom instead.
Boot from floppy that also contains flashrom and the new bios.
Use this command with flashrom to force flash the card.
flashrom -p -f 0 XXXXXXXX.bin (the name of the bios file)

Kato

Thanks your reply :)

I also tryed flashrom lastnight. I type the command is flashrom -p 0 XXXXXXXX.bin. It show a message said ATi adapter not found too :(.

My mainboard slot sequency is :-
PCI Express
AGP
PCI
PCI

The AGP slot also is 0?
I tryed flashrom -p 1 XXXXXXXX.bin and flashrom -p 2 XXXXXXXX.bin lastnight, but result is same :(

System Name Omicron
Processor Athlon X2 3800 @5000
Motherboard Asrock 939DualSATA2
Cooling Zalman
Memory 2x 1gb Corsair XMS DDR3500PRO 2-3-2-6 1t
Video Card(s) Radeon 3870
Storage Seagate 320gb
Display(s) BenQ FP241w
Case X-Blade Deluxe
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software WinXP SP2
If you using mainboard display, maybe its disabled the agp slot ? If thats whats happening youll probably need to use a pci card and keep the agp slot activated.

you must also use the -f option for flashrom or atiflah to force the flash if the card is found. try "Atiflash -i" to bring up a list of any cards found, that will give the adaptor number if its not 0

so something like "Atiflash -F -P 0 Radeon.rom" should do the trick once the card can be seen.

Kato

Oh..... I need got 1 PCI display card to try. XD