1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI AA better than NV AA screens

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by wolf2009, Sep 8, 2008.

1. wolf2009 Guest

A guy named walkingdog tested and made comparisons on [H] , thanks dude !

Here it is for you to enjoy . Not only does the ATI AA look better, but ATI cards perform better with AA. Looks like Nvidia may be sacrificing Image quality in order to not take too much AA hit.

Original Topic can be found here

Please Leave a thanks !
  2. wolf2009 Guest

lol, no interest ?
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    After reading all that, and playing games myself on both, IMO there is no IQ difference between the two at this point, or the gap as at least been narrowed to the point where the difference is not noticeable.

Looking at a bunch of stills, and zooming so far you can't tell what you are looking at, might show a slight difference, but in the real world, while you are playing the game, there is no difference.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I agree with ya newtekie...the thing that should be looked at more-so than differences in stills is overall performance at AA levels. Both cards do a great job at IQ from what I've seen. At this point in time, performance with constantly improving IQ @ higher resolutions should be more important.

Interesting results none-the-less! :toast:
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Even the original auther seems to agree with me. Now I wish people would give up on this stupid argument and stop wasting the time that could be used for better things, like actually playing the games.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    The Oblivion shots are at different angles and it does make a difference. The Two Worlds shots only show a small difference in 4X AA shot (ATI smoother), but in general the ATI image quality seems less detailed and with less contrast (a little more "bland"). Can't really tell a difference in the apples to apples Crysis shots. The various "flavors" available to one card only aren't a good comparison point.

That's basically the point of AA - and AF as well - in video card types. One might be slightly smoother and one might have better contrast. The difference is pretty much imperceptible to most people that don't count the number of hairs on their heads. ;) I'm not expecting them to behave identically.
  7. Fastmix

Fastmix New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree...it is really hard to notice any difference.
  8. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    No difference.
    So what's with the thread title?
  9. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    maybe there is not too much different but the point is ati AA better than nvidia AA and we see this is true , don't matter about how much , and future games care too much with AA and maybe will be see different with next games , score for ati in AA , nice thread wolf
  10. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I find it funny the people who own nVidia cards are up in arms about this thread and there's barely any ATi owners paying attention.

From these screens I can't see the difference between the two plus it's hard to compare because of the angles are different in each comparison screenshot.

In saying this my brother who owns a 8800GTX discovered my HD4850 gives detailed reflections in rearview and side mirrors in GRID when he was watching me play it, while the relections with his GTX is blocky.

I'll have to get screenshot off him just to prove I'm not just saying this.
  11. PuMA

PuMA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whatever for this thread
  12. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
  13. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I've always prefered ATi's image quality and AA compared to nVIDIA's, and I have to have AA enabled in games otherwise I feel odd and my mind starts playing tricks on me.

Arrrh multiple post attack from hayder.master... -500.

;)
  14. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    And on that note

/thread
  15. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    By the time you leisurely stare at the edge of a window counting jags, your enemy would have pwned you.
  16. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:

hahaha , sorry that's mistake im remove one ;)
  17. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Taking another look at the nV vs ATi AA screenshots, all I can see is a difference in the lighting which has nothing to do with the AA.
    Thats it.
    AA is absolutely the same in all screens otherwise IMO.

@Haydermaster
    emailed my bro so hopefully I can get some decent screenshots of GRID running on his card tonight so I can show you the unusual reflections difference.
  18. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:

ok , that's also good
  19. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Good one;) I have considered this post in a different light than most here. Try to think of this...How much greater would the final benchmarks of ATI's cards be if they lowered their image quality to Nvidias.:cool:
  20. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Well, considering that both have the same IQ, I'd say not much.
    SK-1 says thanks.
  21. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    OMG the same old argument came back!!

OK let's forget about that any small difference that has to be seen on still images with 8x zoomed in is not a difference and that IQ is subjective and let's make a short list of differences:

- Ati AA is superior.
    - Nvidia AF is superior and/or Ati's AA reduces texture detail and accuracy.

It's been the same since the G80 and I have always conclude that higher (what people call better) AA in Ati cards make them blur some bit the textures and viceversa. That being said the IQ is exactly the same, just a bit different in one way or another. People need to understand for once that IQ is subjective and what for some is better for others is worse, you can't cuantify all the factors and conclude one is better. In fact, IMO Ati renders the image a bit "washed out" and "bland" in comparison with Nvidia, I completely agree with Jeffredo here. Because I suspect that AA is the reason for this, IMO, to the very extreme conditions that one could say Ati's AA is better, I honestly believe Nvidia's AA is better. But as I said, both are quantitatively of the same quality, the difference is so small.

Before we start a flame war, my opinion has nothing to do with the hardware I have (this is true for everyone in the thread BTW). If anything, the hardware I have has to do with my opinion.

LOL. Maybe I am very wrong on this, but the same calculations are made by both, meaning there'd be no difference at all. The only difference is that Ati in their algorithms weights the pixels in a different manner and use a slightly different position for them, that's all.
    SK-1 says thanks.
  22. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    :p

Not a problem, just found it funny.
  23. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Unless one prefers art galleries to cinema halls, level of img quality becomes pointless after a certain level. For example anything beyond 4x AA for 1280x1024 isn't going to make it look "ZOMG better" instead it's going to hit frame rate. Focus on the gameplay, not how pretty your enemy looks.
  24. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I really don't think one has a better IQ over the other.

I think each one performs a little more than the other depending on the game.
    From what I have seen they are usually little things which you would never notice unless you nitpick.
  25. jaydeejohn New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, firstly, read the links I post below. I post them not to fanboy it up, but more to educate. AA in ATIs current solutions are superior, if you simply go by a "apples to apples" comparison. This link http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=49008&page=15 was partly influenced by this link http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=869. When the folks a B3D saw that at madshrimps, they responded. These are both reputable sites, and for learning about gfx, theres hardly a better place to go than B3D, as seen by the last line in the MadShrimps conclusion, which added the B3D info. Essentually, whats being said in these links is that yes, if you lower the ATI settings, youll get the same IQ that nVidia does, thus creating less stress on the ATI cards, and more fps. Keep that in mind when you view reviews
    SK-1 says thanks.