1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI AIW 9800 Pro TV CPU usage too high- Help!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Razzmatazz, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Razzmatazz New Member

Thanks Received:
    I "upgraded" my graphics card from an ATI AIW 8500DV (64MB AGP card) to an AIW 9800 Pro (128MB AGP) card. Something must be wrong. CPU utilization while watching TV went from about 4% (with the older AIW 8500DV) to 35% (with the newer AIW 9800 Pro). Recording in "DVD-quality" MPEG- jumped from about 30% to about 95% CPU utilization. Resizing the TV window now causes the audio and video to glitch, I assume because of the high CPU usage.

I've completely (manually) scraped the older ATI software (driver, MMC, etc), including scraping registry settings. And I've installed the latest (Catalyst 6.6 and MMC9.14) in the recommended order. Earlier drivers & MMCs had the same problem. My BIOS and chipset drivers are all up to date.

Is it possible that I need to change a setting in my BIOS set up? (I've set the AGP memory to 128mB.) Is there a tool that I can use to diagnose the card to see if it's working properly?

My rig:
    AthlonXP 2500+, Asus A7N8X Deluxe, 1GB PC2700.
    3 x 200GB HDD (all with DMA turned on)