1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI (AMD) and NVIDIA Fix Prices in the US, Class Action Slapped Against them

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    Amen brother:respect:

1c3d0g says thanks.
  2. Apocolypse007

Apocolypse007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    so when will we actually see the results of this lawsuit? and who will benefit? (seeing as how its class action, I think everyone who bought an ati or nvidia card within the last few years should see something)

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    anyone else notice how ATi's price's started to come down after the merger with AMD?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wonder why ;)

5. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    maybe AMD has some (key word = some) morals

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    And here I thought AMD had to price low to offer their cards. Now it seems they lost thetop end and couldnt sustain the 500-600 dollar cards. All them pc magazines calling them Value. Good thing I never bought a card during that craze :D

7. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    this is a pointless debate. even if it happened there is nothing we can do now every company wants a high bottom line and considering the hole both companies are in i tihnk that this is stupid the last thing either company needs is a freaking lawsuit...time to watch there stocks tank again.

8. Megasty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Already sold mine, I don't feel like losing another $3 grand :rolleyes:

9. Darkrealms

Thanks Received:
    Where is Bill Gates !%&%$@
    ROFL

Doesn't suprise me. Wonder if Intels behind it. Or if someone is looking for a payout. The timing on both companies right now couldn't be better for that . . .

10. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    If anyone is honestly surprised by this they need to think a minute.

Good reason why I have slowed my video card buying and deffinetely not buying the top tier.

11. OnionMan New Member

Thanks Received:
    There will most likely be very little restitution for us.. Forms, confusion, and waiting for months as it's slowly mail out.. But with something like this that isn't the main point.. Stopping it is more important to all of us..

The first I heard of this was just a few years ago.. Right after that, AMD grabbed up ATI.. From there on ATI's prices seemed to get lower little by little.. Of course the 38xx line and now the 48xx line has really changed things.. Perhaps AMD stopped this when the took over ATI, and the 38xx line was the first real sign of it.. They knew this was coming..

Now Nv drops its prices just days before this yet weeks after the 48xx is released..
    Hmmmm..

12. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    lol no kidding ati and nvidia do it and it's a whole legal issue, oil companies do it daily and it's "capitalism"

this doesn't suprise me at all especially being that the x800/6800-7950/x1950's had almost identical pricing schemes. seemed too coincidental to me.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Ekklesis

Ekklesis

Thanks Received:
    me too...

I divined that the world has become a so "strange" place in last years and is on the slope of destruction... :laugh:

14. mlupple

mlupple New Member

Thanks Received:
    Class action lawsuits are such shit. Only a communist would come up with such a thing. A corrupt lawyer makes millions upon millions while the victims receive a dollar or two. This is prob bogus anyway.

15. From_Nowhere New Member

Thanks Received:
    Kind of sad that a lot of people see oil as the only artificially inflated industry... The tech industry is just as bad, and in some cases worse. It's a good thing this Nvidia & ATI duopoly was brought up because it may help some people "Open their eyes."

16. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    what are you all complaining about? in the past 5 years we have seen unprecedented growth in the graphics card market.

mlupple says thanks.
  17. Darkrealms

Thanks Received:
    That was a /yawn interesting read. The only thing I really learned was how little they were making. I didn't think the market was that self destructive. Neither company making hardly any profit or both taking losses?

18. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, odd thing is, as much as it's rather apparent looking back (more noticeably how the relations between the two went uber sour after AMD took over ATI);

even if this class action lawsuit did prove it's case - how could AMD be held responsible?

ATI, maybe, as they're still partly seperate, but now under "new management" so-to-speak.

either way, we can't really jump to conclusions until we see the results of the lawsuit as well, and whatever evidence is turned up

19. Darkrealms

Thanks Received:
    True and it sounds like if true there's been lots of time to "file" the evidence. Probably ever since AMD took ATI. So truth may not matter if there isn't enough proof anyway. At the least it should make the two companies more wary in the future.

20. Vertol New Member

Thanks Received:
    good god ,when the 6800 series came out what kind of money did they make on that ?

21. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    And the price of an 8800GTX on release :eek:

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    I payed $350 for my 6800GT and $400 for an athlon 64 3500.

But if you remember, it was well justified by demand and performance. Nothing could touch them.

1c3d0g says thanks.
  23. Megasty New Member

Thanks Received:
    That 8800GTX-Ultra BS was the most expensive duo period. Up until then, there was the $500-600 6800Ultra & 7900GTX. The x800-x1900 joined that bull range as well. Then AMD took over ATI. By that time, NV had the 8800GTX in the works. AMD turning over the 2900XT was a huge mistake because that just continued the conspiracy - although they probably unknowingly did it, the darn thing was still an overpriced POS worth only half of its tag.

I don't even know what to call the 8800GTX-U. Sure it was the best, but that price, geez - the price of that thing is the main reason we're seeing this lawsuit mess. The history behind it just drag both companies into the ground.

24. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

The Ultras were insanely priced, without a doubt.

ATI have been running with the "no more than $500" market for a while now, at least, IIRC, since the 1950XTX . . .

although . . . anyone remember when ATI were selling 1900 series "crossfire" packages to hold out the upper-end? Two 1900 series cards sold together in a bundle . . .

25. Megasty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, my brother bought them - one of them burned up & no more CF :(
    It was so hot it burned a hole in the snow when I threw it out the window :roll:
    Then he bought 2 9800GTXs, yeah that's just how long he had them :shadedshu