1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Catalyst 7.7 Performance Analysis :(

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by zwawy, Jul 22, 2007.

1. zwawy New Member

Thanks Received:
    On TweakTown

The Link

:( :shadedshu

2. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Need for Speed carbon's performance was worse, random slowdowns and Floating point HDR Motion blur artifacts.... 7.6's do MUCH better. Like in NFS:C the performance has decreased by like 30% or something. Its WORSE with world detail on max... this driver is like the 7.2s..

3. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    i got a boost in medieval 2 total war :)

4. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Done it tried it and back to 7.6.
    And yeah Carbon turned to crap on the 7.7 driver and I play that game a fair bit so I do notice it.

Watch out for the stutters around the concealed corners or places where there is alot of textures.

I think this driver was supposed more directed at the HD2xxx series than X1xxx from what I read about it.

5. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    Well for me an my xp x64 install, trying to upgrade the drivers lead to an unrecoverable setup. I actually had to reformat from trying drivers (yeah I tried driver cleaner pro, installing via ini, reinstalling older drivers, none of those worked). So I reformat and install the newer drivers and they work fine (wtf?).

For me, my 3DMark06 score went up to around 1.5k from about 1.4k and in Halo 2 XP, my performance at 1280x720 is better with 2x AA than before (although I get more stutters than before, but they are very brief).

6. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've noticed some squirrelly stuff with the 7.7 drivers, too . . . Doom3 doesn't seem to keep my AA settings, it keeps reseting to 'off' every time I load it up.

I'm curious, though, to see if there will be a difference for me with 3Dmark06 between 7.7 & 7.6 - seeing as how I'm about to rollback the drivers, I might just benchmark my system . . .

7. bassmasta Guest

>.> i'm pretty sure that 7.7 was optimized for the upcoming dx10 games.... that's why lost planet demo works now