1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI CCC 9.12 Drivers and Performance increase???

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by 20mmrain, Nov 26, 2009.

1. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I have been doing a lot of reading and looking for a BETA Version fo the ATI 9.12 Beta Drivers. I have found some that claim to be the BETA but everything I read on them is that people are not sure if they are real or not. They are supposed to give you an amazing performance increase. Like 20% to 30% in some to actually most games..........Now I'm not trying to get into weather the Beta drivers are real or fake.(I think they are fake) But regardless......... I have heard that ATI is planning really to do a huge performance upgrade on the next driver set.
    I am just wondering if anyone else has heard the same thing or is this just more of a rumor. I have Googled and and done extensive searches. Read many forums but they are all just talking about these fake beta's.
    So I'm just curious and if someone knows and even knows a good website that talks about them let me know. I am very interested!

2. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    I think everyones heard that but I havent actually seen anything.

3. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for answering I knew this would be the world's shortest and probably most pointless post..... But I had to ask! Because if it's true I'm really excited. If anyone else has heard go ahead and answer other wise I was kind of just checking.

4. TooFast New Member

Thanks Received:
    maybe its ati's secret weapon for the gt300.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. TooFast New Member

Thanks Received:
    maybe not.... by the time nshitia's gt300 comes out the 6870 will be out.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I doubt there will be any magical super-drivers. If that 20-30% figure is true it's most likely due to a CrossFire optimization in a couple applications.

7. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    yea yea wha he sed ^

8. Bo_Fox

Bo_Fox New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, I do not think we've ever seen such huge driver speed improvements from ATI since the Radeon 9700 Pro days. Perhaps 10% boost across the board has happened before, but it's usually only 5% across the board once per year or so. Sometimes, there are some improvements with a few games per driver release version.

Nvidia has surprised us with like 15% or greater boost across the board with a new driver revision maybe 2-3 times in the past 7 years or so. This kind of "surprise" boost has never come from ATI. Nvidia's huge boosts were usually due to groundbreaking optimizations for a relatively new architecture.

Most of the time, large improvements are with newly released games that still had quite some potential for improved optimization.

The R800 architecture is not a new architecture altogether, and I would guess that the drivers were already well-optimized when the R800 series was released to the public. The performance is exactly as expected according to the proportionally lower memory bandwidth of the R800 series thus far. Just like with Nvidia cards (especially the G92 architecture), ATI cards are not immune to relatively low bandwidth.

I'm just speaking from my heart.. it's not to start another argument. At least there was a 20% driver boost for a 5870 in NFS: Shift.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Except when the first 512mb cards were only using 256MB...mind you, i think that was R420, and in late 2005 early 2006 or so...;)

Back when I was still changing crystals on specific vgas for max overclock(25mhz swap for 27mhz)..can you name the card?

10. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    We haven't seen big Driver advances from ATI you guys are right but...... I have seen a couple of statements by ATI claiming they have something big up their sleeves yet to combat Femi.
    So interrupt that anyway you want.

That could mean maybe they haven't relased all of it's power yet. I mean look at the amazing upgrades that Nvidia's 8800's got from Driver increases and shoot they are still coming out with them.
    But with are luck yeah ....... their big surprise is probably either the 6870 by the time Femi gets released or it's something really stupid like free coasters with every ATI purchase! LMAO :D

11. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I have them and the beta's I have are buggy as hell! Kept disabling my CFX:shadedshu
    But beta's are beta's:toast:

12. Bo_Fox

Bo_Fox New Member

Thanks Received:
    You mean, this: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_9600_GT_Amp_Edition/24.html ? (Scroll down a bit until you see the oscillator crystal)

But you made it sound like a few years ago, so it must be something older, right?

13. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Well I'm hoping for some general improvements all across the board, maybe some 2-10% or so, and some major crossfire improvements, lots of games have a long way to go in that respect.

14. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I've been researching the 9.12 beta set as well as I'm disappointed with the performance of the 9.11 set. As I've stated in another thread, I've got from 150+ frames in CoD 4 to 30+ and I can't even hit 100 frames now. Noticed a few drops in SFIV, but nothing to the extent that I have in CoD 4.

As you've stated 20mmrain, people seem unsure towards the legitimacy of the 9.12 beta set so I'm [unfortunately] holding out until the official 9.12 set as I've noticed an improvement in image quality with the 9.11 set.

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
  16. wolf

Thanks Received:
  17. naoan New Member

Thanks Received:
    can you post the link please? :)

18. wolf

Thanks Received:
    This is specific for 7 x64 right meah;

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/pages/GPU37-driver-for-ati-radeon-hd-5970.aspx

but ATI have made this available to public now, go to website and just follow the prompts BUT select the 5970 as your card, and it will give you this driver for whatever OS (naturally only supported ones)

Also keep in mind this *might* not work on your card.... really not sure what they work on besides obviously a 5970 and my 5870.

have fun :toast:

naoan says thanks.
  19. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Wolf It just so happens I have a 5870! BuD I can't wait since it will be a boring thanksgiving day with my family! I will download them to day and have some real fun! I will get back with my findings too.
    So just to re cap you said the 5970 drivers on ati's website will work with the 5870's as well?

wolf says thanks.
  20. musek

musek

Thanks Received:
    Yes, they do work. I'm using them now with my 5870. :toast:

21. Fishymachine

Thanks Received:
    5870 and 5770 do behave like overclocked harvests(xx50s),so a 20-30% increase on these 2 cards seems pretty reasonable

22. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Anyone used these on previous generations?

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering that too because besides my 5870 I have a computer running a 4850 and one running 3850

Any side effects running the 9.12 Drivers with the 5870?

But from what other forums I've read people aren't just getting those results in NFS but also Crysis, Far Cry2, Among others.
    So I am keeping my figures crossed. I'm not as familiar with Open GL as other..... I can't give you the technical read outs of what it exactly does........ But from general information of what I have heard to get the extra performance gain....... They did something with the OpenGL. I should really look into finding out what that does!!! LOL

24. musek

musek

Thanks Received:
    I don't have too much time to play any games right now, but the card is stable, 3dmark scores are just slightly better than with 9.11 betas that I had before them.
    So no side effects for me.

25. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    CC thank you I will give it a try tonight...... I know you said that you haven't got to play to many games lately but how much of an increase have you been seeing. Or is it that little that you have played and you really can't comment?