1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Claims No Physics for "9 to 12 Months"

Discussion in 'News' started by D_o_S, Jun 29, 2006.

1. D_o_S

D_o_S Moderator

Thanks Received:
    During ATI's 2006 third quarter financial results conference call this morning, ATI CEO Dave Orton revealed to analysts that despite demonstrating physics processing earlier this year, actual retail availability will not be available for another "9 to 12 months." Orton indicated that the technology was still undergoing testing and preparation. Interestingly, ATI indicated earlier that its physics technology was already on the market and needed only driver updates.

Source: Daily Tech

2. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    yeah, but no big deal I don't think the market will be pushed into physics for another year anyway. . . just speculation though.

3. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, physics processors aren't necesarry yet, but PCs are going to need a lot of power if they keep heading in their current direction.

4. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    What EXACTLY are these "Physics Processors" good for (what do they do?)

See subject-line/title, & please answer my questions on it guys...

:)

* I have seen some footage from some company that makes actual add-on cards for this (not sure of name, Ageia iirc) & it appears to me that it makes things "blow up" better (more particles & such) & obey the laws of physics more precisely when doing so...

(Is that what they do? If more, let us all know (I don't know, had to ask, it may inform others as well)).

"TIA!"

APK

5. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, they add better physics to the game. You can interact with everything. And when stuff blows up, it doesn't disappear after some time, unlike most games right now. When I play games, I don't really look at how things blow up, I don't care at all.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion New Member

Thanks Received:

doesnt mean they lied, maybe it takes time to write toe driver code, dont just run to conclutions

7. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    IMHO they need beter anti-aliasing, blending, edge softening on texture map joints. HL2 at all high quality looks almost real untill you walk over a hill that has edges where textures meet.

So instead of

A solid line where they meet with mebey a few pixles of smoothing.

__________________________ Line A
    ------------------------------ Player view
    ___________________________ Line B

Lines A, and B represent the end of texture maps that form a soft apex on a hill, and player view is what you actually see, but with a arc calculated by the edges of Line A, and B to make the transition smooth, then blended and antialiased for a more realistic looking ground texture.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  8. OneCool

OneCool

Thanks Received:
    The GPU's that are on the horzion will do this anyway...why bother :confused:

9. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    . . . not really . . .

10. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think they'll stay separate because then you can upgrade indepentently and it will always take strain off the GPU.

11. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    um there is more strain on the gpu/cpu. physics can be run on the cpu or psx proc. currently psx are only enabled with the psx proc. with the extra particles and textures there is more strain on the gpu and ram. currently there is no benifit to psx save the pretty shinys.

12. Mitolo

Mitolo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wish there was a LEAKED driver to test it :cry: