1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI drivers have stopped responding

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by sazkion, Mar 9, 2013.

1. sazkion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been having this issue ever since I built this computer around three years ago. While playing games my screen will usually freeze once and I'll get the message saying that my ATI drivers have stopped responding. It usually does this once or twice and then works fine.

Lately when I get the error message my video card's performance drops, so I have to change my graphic quality from high to low on whatever game I'm playing.

I have a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6870 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102909 I had this same problem on my old HD4680 but when I gave it to my brother he hasn't had any issues.

I've replaced almost every part in my computer. The only things I haven't replaced are my motherboard and CPU. I've used Windows 7 and 8 and have done clean installs both times on different hard drives.

I can't figure out what is causing this, I've posted on boards where I'm told to uninstall/reinstall newest ATI drives, replace RAM sticks (have used two different sets) and other responses. I would love to get some advice on what else I could do. I'm hoping it's not a hardware issue because I don't want to replace my motherboard or my CPU.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    This is most likely caused by instability,is the card overclocked? have you tried clocking it down or push the voltage up?

3. sazkion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't changed any of the settings. Everything is the default settings

4. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    try slightly increasing voltage and see if that helps.

5. sazkion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll try that, what increments should I increase it by?

I'm not sure if it would be a power issue though, my older video card did the same thing as well.

6. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    The stock voltage of a 6870 is 1.175v,try 1.2v.

7. sazkion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I set it. Now I'll have to wait and see to what happens right?

8. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Thats right.

9. sazkion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok thanks, I'll reply back if it happens again then. Hopefully this will work

10. sazkion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately it did it again. Any other ideas?

11. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Is the card still under warranty? If not try setting it at 1.225 and test it again if it is under warranty RMA it.

12. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Also since you had the same problem with the previous card and the one you gave to didn't, then it can also be a motherboard/CPU issue.

13. sazkion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am pretty sure it's not the video card, my other card did the same thing. It works fine on my brother's computer.

That's what I'm guessing, is there any way to tell without having to buy another motherboard or CPU? I don't know anyone who has a motherboard compatible with my CPU so I can't just test one or the other without buying a new one of them

14. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    I am afraid there is no way to tell. The Sandy Bridge CPUs have the whole of the north bridge function integrated within the CPU so it is the CPU which communicates with the graphics card. But between them, the media of communication is the motherboard. So either of them can be faulty.
    For the consistency, it is likely the motherboard as CPUs do not usually cause problems.
    Also look for a BIOS update for your motherboard and check if the BIOS settings related to PCI-E x16 are all as it should be.
    Generation 2.0
    PCIE bus clock = 100 MHz

15. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    This is taken from another forum and relates to GPU crunching but the problem is the same - ATI driver has stopped responding and so on

If you are having driver crahses, the following registry modification might prevent that:
    (Source: Bun-Bun from XS)
    Code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Watchdog]
    "DisableBugCheck"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Watchdog\Display]
    "EaRecovery"="0"

I didn't try it myself......

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  16. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    Good find relevant to GPU crunching/folding because that's when CPU threads use GPU for calculations that take much longer than 1 frame time calculations in games or Aero GUI.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff553893(v=vs.85).aspx

This timeout recovery mechanism is made for possible lockups in Aero. I doubt disabling it'll help here since card works fine in other machine.

Maybe you already checked these, but since you didn't mention it:

Can you check (using GPU-Z or whatever) when that happens, is your card stuck in low power state or throttling due high temperatures?

HD 6870 draws about 13.5 Amps from the +12 Volt rails under maximum GPU load. What is your PSU?

Maybe you can try persuading your brother to test your MBO/CPU/GPU combo with his PSU?

17. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    Try the card in your brothers computer chances are the card is A OK and the board/CPU are broken. You said your old card did the same but works fine in your brothers computer that's why you should test the card on your brothers computer.

18. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    What drivers are you using in both machines? I used to have an issue with my 6870s crashing here and there in crossfire but the most recent drivers seemed to have rectified that problem. Is it possible that the drivers in your machine are old and the drivers in your brother's machine are new?

Are you installing the latest drivers from AMD's website?

Memtest86+ could determine if it is your ram or not.

19. sazkion New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I get to \Control I don't see any Watchdog option. Should I create this folder and the display one as well?

I just downloaded GPU-Z so I'll check it next time this happens. Does GPU-Z have a history log or anything? What would be the best way to record the information?

The original power supply I had was a PC Power and Cooling 610W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005

I bought a new one CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010

But I'm still having the same issue. The only things that are the same are my motherboard and CPU.

So you're saying that even though my old card did the same thing I should test this one just to be sure?

I have tried using the drivers Windows finds as well as the ones I downloaded from ATI's website. I'm running the latest one (13.1). I've tried completely removing the drivers and then reinstalling them but it didn't help. I have also tried installing without Catalyst control center but it still didn't work.

I had two different kinds of RAM with this issue. I ran a Memtest a month ago and it came back with no issues.

20. sazkion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I upgraded my BIOS around a year ago because it was having issues with my lightup keyboard. Should I try updating it again? I had help installing my BIOS last time, but it appears that 1.H is the latest one, or am I reading it wrong?
    http://us.msi.com/product/mb/790FX-GD70.html#/?div=BIOS

21. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Yeah 1.H is the latest. Do one thing. Enter your BIOS and check the version. If it is the same as the latest one, then you don't need to upgrade. Else you must upgrade it since you are having problems which is likely related to the motherboard.

22. sazkion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got a log of it happening this time. It happened around "2013-03-12 21:22:52"

I'm not sure what I'm reading, it appears that my VDDC Current drops and then my GPU Core Clock and Memory Clock drop. Any idea what that could be?

Attached Files:

23. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    Your current did not drop. It spiked. You may want to get a new power supply. What kind of PSU do you have.

Reading your original post, the 3 highest possible problems are hard drive corruption, psu issues, software conflicts causing crashes. I knew it wasn't the card itself since you have the same problem on multiple cards and the same card didn't happen on your brother's computer.

After reading your logs, I can tell you that power spikes caused it.

12.13 , 1.172 , 10.0
    12.00 , 1.172 , 45.0

That part right there. That's 12 volts and 45 amps. No video card can handle that. You're lucky there's some safety features built in there or else it should've fried your card.

Go buy a new decent PSU like a Corsair brand.

24. sazkion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've had this problem with two different power supplies

PC Power and Cooling 610W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005

and my current PSU
    CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010

My video card has two connectors for a power supply that appears to be 6 pins each. My old PSU didn't have those connectors so I had a 6 pin connector to whatever type of power plugged into the IDE drives. This IDE power was shared with another hard drive as well since the cord had multiple connectors. My new PSU has connectors that I think will plug directly into this video card, should I try that?

25. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    The HX shouldn't do that. It is rock solid stable.
    Yes, all the drives should be on separate lines than the video card.

What motherboard are you using? and what bios. You should really fill out your system specs in your profile so we have a better understanding.